Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What is your brand of tool do you use ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 05:25 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

I'm 34 years old and I'm kinda making a big career change , I have always worked a couple months of the season at a garage of some sort . But for the last 12 years I have been a painter , I ran my own crew and it was great till the last couple years things just changed , so here I am trying to become the best mechanic I can be . The place I work offers free online ASE training and I'm totally taking advantage of it .I already have my time in , I just have to prep myself a little first . Thanks for the comments on the tools . I will continue to purchase from probably all three mac , matco , and snap on .

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I would continue if I were in your shoes.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Logan is on a distinguished road

Mastercraft and princess auto. when on sale a 291pc set is like $120 from canadian tire. If you break something, you can get a replacement that day(depending how far from a store you are). And I work 5min from princess auto, so if something breaks again, within a day I have a replacement.
Snap on/matco/mac are all great, but I can not justify the price for myself. I actually know a few mechanics that feel the same way. One guy have 4 grand in tools and has everything a guy beside him does who spent $35 000.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

My dad always had SK tools, and I really liked them, however during one of the classes I was in during High school I got 50% off all snap on equipment, so I decided to go with those (Snap-on =approx= SK in $) After using them for a wile they do have their strong points but I think I prefer SK

Old 05-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Beginning Member
hellrasin' is on a distinguished road

craftman or whatever else i can get my hands on.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:32 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by oktain
Another thing I didn't get through after some birthday beers last night (lol) is that Full time wrenchers (i.e. professional mechanics) working at a garage are the ones who benefit most from the quality of snap on and other equivalents. Although they're very expensive when's the last time you've broken a snap on ratchet? I've broken a few mastercraft ratchets. While both have lifetime warranty it's not a big deal for the guy in his driveway to get up and drive 15 minutes to the store to get a warranty replacement.

BUT, a mechanic is paid by the hour, and only alotted a certain amount of time for a warranty job and if you have a tool break on you, you can't go running 15 minutes 1 way to Sears, because by the time you drive out there, look around, find the wrench, go find the guy to say "Yup, that's warranty", then drive back, you're looking at a delay of anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours, at least. Those tools are your livelihood, and the amount of time lost due to broken tools would probably eventually pay for an entire tool box full of Snap On. That's why Snap On etc. are a mechanic's best friend, but at the same time the cost outweighs the benefits for the backyard mechanic who's wrenching on his own stuff as a hobby.

*breathe*
Yeah snap on tools are expensive but they are worth it if you do it everyday. They do still break once in a while but not as often as some of the cheaper brands mentioned. One nice thing nice with snap on is that they will replace a tool if it is worn out from normal use. I have had a few sockets replaced where either the bolt head end is worn or the square drive end is worn out. Not sure if craftsman will do that or not.

Originally Posted by Thor_449
My dad always had SK tools, and I really liked them, however during one of the classes I was in during High school I got 50% off all snap on equipment, so I decided to go with those (Snap-on =approx= SK in $) After using them for a wile they do have their strong points but I think I prefer SK
I have a few SK tools that i dont mind. The bad part is that SK went out of business. I think mac is working out some kind of deal though where they will warranty them but thats not for sure yet

Old 05-20-2011, 01:50 AM
wrenchturner3529 is on a distinguished road

I use a combo of tools in my personal home use box and have used a wide range of tool manufactures in my tool boxes and kits in the military. I prefer craftsman and have my orginal 220 set for over 20 yrs even though it has grown . Cost and conveniance is the man factor for craftsman. I can say I have never had a tool break that I was using properly.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Pittsburgh or Chicago. If I can't buy it for $20, it isn't worth doing.