Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What are your close call stories?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road
Smile What are your close call stories?

It rained this morning (around 7ish) and around 12 I went to go get a haircut, as I was leaving, I merged off of the ramp onto the main road and all of a sudden the blazer was literally drifting, and I lost all traction even after I corrected (I was probably sliding for a good 5 seconds). Pretty scary, I have to say -- that was the first time that ever happened to me, but I'm pretty glad I didn't hit anyone and saw / corrected the problem as fast as I did.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
IanD is on a distinguished road

Also, I was run off the road by some douche bag on his cellphone, and despite me laying on my horn for a good 15 seconds he slowly crept into my lane and then flipped me off.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I remember last winter. We dont get alot of anything down here. I went under the bridge and there was ice under it lost traction and my rear end went nuts sliding and i managed to save it. Well,no need for coffee that morning...

Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Too many to recall honestly, I live in MN, that should say enough. I just wish I could garage the Jimmy in the winter and drive a beater. If someone crashes into me, I am going to jail.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well im a commercial driver. Although i havent had any close calls myself, ive had plenty of people have close calls with me... Ive had 4 people come over the center line that would have head on'd me if it wasnt for ME paying attention. And also one car come out of nowhere - literally out of the bush and through the ditch perpendicular to the road - amd right across in front of me. I literally didnt have time to even lift my foot before he was across the road and into the other ditch.

Its times like those that make me glad i drive a big rig... Ill walk away from a head on with a car or truck and go home to my family.

I did almost go into the ditch to avoid a dumb cow moose one morning. My boss told me company policy is to hit the moose not the ditch. Hitting the ditch does tens of thousands in damage, hitting a moose only does thousands. Plus, hitting a moose does nothing to your driving record, the ditch does. It was instinct to swerve and would be hard not to swerve again...

Old 11-13-2012, 11:39 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Well im a commercial driver. Although i havent had any close calls myself, ive had plenty of people have close calls with me... Ive had 4 people come over the center line that would have head on'd me if it wasnt for ME paying attention. And also one car come out of nowhere - literally out of the bush and through the ditch perpendicular to the road - amd right across in front of me. I literally didnt have time to even lift my foot before he was across the road and into the other ditch.

Its times like those that make me glad i drive a big rig... Ill walk away from a head on with a car or truck and go home to my family.

I did almost go into the ditch to avoid a dumb cow moose one morning. My boss told me company policy is to hit the moose not the ditch. Hitting the ditch does tens of thousands in damage, hitting a moose only does thousands. Plus, hitting a moose does nothing to your driving record, the ditch does. It was instinct to swerve and would be hard not to swerve again...

Old 11-14-2012, 01:43 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Anytime I get on the bike it seems. Old grannies driving me out of my lane, people not seeing me, stuff like that. Usually a good rev of the engine to 9 or 10,000 rpms will wake them up though.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Default Honestly too many

I have been hit head on at 60mph I was lucky to live.Work in timber cutting industry had a tree fall on me I had to cut my way out of it.My chain back lashed nearly cutting my thumb off.Had another tree fell hit me on the head so hard I literaly seen tweety birds,bells and whistling in a halo around my head.So thats not made some cartoon writer got hit in the head like I did and thats how that came about.
Just to name a few.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I whitewater kayak, this is me this past labor day weekend

Old 11-14-2012, 01:35 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 1sttimejimmyowner
I have been hit head on at 60mph I was lucky to live.Work in timber cutting industry had a tree fall on me I had to cut my way out of it.My chain back lashed nearly cutting my thumb off.Had another tree fell hit me on the head so hard I literaly seen tweety birds,bells and whistling in a halo around my head.So thats not made some cartoon writer got hit in the head like I did and thats how that came about.
Just to name a few.
I think that would classify as a hit, and not a close call LOL

Quick Reply: What are your close call stories?