Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 09:12 AM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

I am not brand loyal. I currently own a Ford Truck, Toyota Tercel and the 2000 Blazer. The Blazer hands down requires the most upkeep. I would take it on a 1000 mile trip but I have not done the LIM gaskets yet so I would be uneasy about it.

The 4 wheel drive system in the Blazer just p***es me off. It was the 3rd year in a row this October that it would not work when the snow hit. I even engage it in my gravel alley every couple of weeks just to check to see if it is still working throughout the summer. It always seems to be a crapshoot if the 4 wheel drive will be there when you need it. Soon every part of the system will be new and I still won't trust it. Chevy gets a thumbs down on the design here.

Last edited by grizzstang; 11-14-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:43 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by grizzstang
I am not brand loyal. I currently own a Ford Truck, Toyota Tercel and the 2000 Blazer. The Blazer hands down requires the most upkeep. I would take it on a 1000 mile trip but I have not done the LIM gaskets yet so I would be uneasy about it.

The 4 wheel drive system in the Blazer just p***es me off. It was the 3rd year in a row this October that it would not work when the snow hit. I even engage it in my gravel alley every couple of weeks just to check to see if it is still working throughout the summer. It always seems to be a crapshoot if the 4 wheel drive will be there when you need it. Soon every part of the system will be new and I still won't trust it. Chevy gets a thumbs down on the design here.
this is sad but true, some blazer are built reallllly f*cking good, some are just junk, mine seems to be pretty damn reliable then i hear about all the problems other people have with them and do nothing but bash them, in reality it just comes down to luck =p mine has 210k on it but the only major thing i had to replace with the FPR and the Fuel pump (fpr clogged and fuel pump quit)

also the only other things were brake lines and wheel bearings

Old 11-14-2011, 04:44 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by m3ch
in reality it just comes down to luck
I would argue upkeep more so than luck.

But some Blazers do just sound to be cursed from the start.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned
brendan127 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would DEFINITELY trust mine a 1k trip easily. Been a very reliable truck for me.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Mike98Blazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RangerG
I would argue upkeep more so than luck.

But some Blazers do just sound to be cursed from the start.
IDK about that, My blazer was a 1 owner truck (my stepdad bought it new) and it was meticulously maintained. I have every service record since new. And it was a great vehicle for him. I on the other hand am even MORE ocd than him about it and now that i've had it i've been replacing stuff on it left and right. So i'm leaning towards luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

I took my blazer on a 500 mile round trip and it barely made it. So a 1000 mile trip absolutely not. I can feel trans starting to slip, the engine has an extremely rough idle, and the 12MPG would kill the checkbook

Old 11-17-2011, 05:55 PM
Beginning Member
rpeastep is on a distinguished road
Smile

I would have no problem with a 1000 mile trip on either my '97 4wd or 2000 2wd. Have had the '97 since it had 20,000 miles on it in '97. Just put in 2nd after market fuel pump and put GM factory rebuilt trans in at 125,000 and has 201,000 on it now. AC compressor has big leak but I just don't drive it in the summer much, so no desert trips.
Nothing on the 2000 but an alternator and got it from my late wife's mother in '06(for free ). Has around 160,000 or so. Girlfriend drives it over 100 miles three days a week and gets around 20 mpg. No idea what kind of mileage the '97 gets.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:16 PM
Beginning Member
wanderlost is on a distinguished road

Once I bolt all these new parts on and go for a shakedown run! Never had an issue on any trips between 300 mile trips to the mountains to a 500 mile round trip to watch the eclipse this past summer. I would drive 1000 miles in a heartbeat... As long as I have my toolbox and my sleeping bag.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:27 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

I would after I do my intake gasket.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:22 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

No. Every item I cross off the list of repairs is replaced by a new one within a weeks time. Every time.

Quick Reply: Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?