Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

adding a leaf

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default adding a leaf

I have a 95 GMC Jimmy lowered about 5' in the front and 4' in the back. I love the way it sits/looks BUT when I put 4 people in the truck and a bunch of other crap it bottoms out a little too easily. When I'm by myself or just have the kids it's fine. I also have 2 12's in the back in a big ported box which is a significant amount of weight. Other than raising it up with some 3' blocks could I leave the 4' blocks on it and add another leaf to the rear to stiffen it up some more? It already has 4 leaves. If so should I just go to the junkyard and grab some extra leaves off another Blazer or buy an add-a-leaf or ? Thanks.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 PM
sjas00jimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try air shocks... You replace your shocks with them and run air lines.. I driled a hole in my bumper next to my license plate. You can hardly see it and it levels everything out when im towing. Costs maybe $100 and a 1 1/2 hrs of your time

Old 09-19-2010, 10:24 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

the only problem with sjas set-up, is you need to stop @ a gas station every time you want to put more weight in your truck-be it people, something you "just had to have" while you were out, whatever.

you can do the AAL, but remember the ride is gonna be quite a bit stiffer when empty (you alone, or just the kids). you can do the air shocks or bag it, just put a compressor up front so you can fill it as you need it.

considering how "new" your truck is, it's alot easier to get a kit that's been designed for what you're after.

but remember, you'll be paying for their R & D. so you can make it all home grown, or you can drop the $$$ on someone else's design,it all depends on your pocket, and ability to fab 'n wrench