Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Thinking about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about lowering

I have been thinking of lowering my blazer instead of lifting it I already know that I can so the t bar method and get some drop on the front and I can get 3" of drop with leaf springs in the back but how do I get even more drop in the front I was thinking it would be shorter coil springs but I have no knowledge lowering vehicles btw it is a 4wd

Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

You don't have coil springs up front. The torsion bars are your "springs" so you can really only lower it as much as the torsion bar bolts will allow. Removing them completely will net you nearly 2 inches, I believe. Anything more than that and you're looking at cutting and welding and whatnot.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:23 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Lowering blocks

you unbolt the rear end and put the blocks on top of the leafs then put the rear above the lowering block

walah you have lowered the rear of your blazer

Edit: here is a pic its sorta small but possible to see

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3921170/1996-chevrolet-s10-blazer#39211704022

Edit:2 Here we go i found a better picture for you

http://www.1969fb.com/pics/1954picku...0Installed.jpg

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 12-22-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Starting Member

Seems like to much damn work lol I will probably just do the belltech 3" drop leaf springs in the rear and just lower the t bars as far as they will go in the front considering I don't want to bag it or anything just want to give it a better stance and on another thread I started I asked how far I can back the bolts out on the t bars and someone said I can take them completely out is that true? if I take them out what supports them and keeps them from moving? just curious because my wife tells me that people are just lying to me so I ruin my Blazer so can someone give me some solid info so I can convince her to take the bolts all the way out.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I dont know how it would react if you remove them completely but the ride quality will change i know that

and putting the blocks is way easyer and cheaper then getting lowering springs but thats my opinion

blocks is cheaper too

Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM

I believe it was me who said you can take hte bolts out, and it's completely true. I did it on my 94. All the bolts do is adjust how much tension is on the torsion bars. With the bolts removed, the bars have very little tension, therefore the truck is lower. You are not at all changing how the bars are mounted, only how much pressure or twist is on them.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Starting Member

I need new leaf springs anyways so that is why I just wanted to knock out 2 birds with one stone and replace my leaf springs and get it lowered at the same time

Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 PM

Why do you need new ones?

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
I believe it was me who said you can take hte bolts out, and it's completely true. I did it on my 94. All the bolts do is adjust how much tension is on the torsion bars. With the bolts removed, the bars have very little tension, therefore the truck is lower. You are not at all changing how the bars are mounted, only how much pressure or twist is on them.
thanks, I will be sure to let my wife read this lol that way is something happens she will be like TheRandom1 is to blame lmfao but for real I will tell her and hopefully she will say yes to it my only problem currently is I am always a 1/2" off on one side because of my leaf spring being screwed up in the rear so my passenger side sits lower than my driver side by about 1/2" or so but once I get leaf springs that should correct that issue I hope

Old 12-22-2011, 07:23 PM

I'll look around and see if I have any pictures of the front end of my 94 after I did this to it. The one thing you'll need to do is get an alignment IMMEDIATELY after changing anything with the torsion bolts. You jack up the alignment every time you adjust them, so have it aligned once you do whatever it is you are going to do with that otherwise you can and probably will ruin your truck.

All that said, I'm wondering if your wifes objection is less about doing this and more about not modding a perfectly good daily driver? A lot of people would prefer a car stay stock in the belief that it makes it "more reliable." I'd talk it out with her carefully and respectfully before doing anything.

Quick Reply: Thinking about lowering