Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

Thinking about lowering

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point

luckily I haven't gotten an alignment yet so once I do so I will get an alignment and my wife could care less about modding it she is just scared that the truck will "fall" and that it won't be safe if it is lowered and considering we only paid $600 for it well that should explain the rest lol

Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

It's possible that's what she's telling you to try and rationalize it too. Just food for thought, not trying to start anything between you and your missus.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Why do you need new ones?
the rear p/s spring is broken and missing an entire leaf (which is why I believe the height is off) it is currently jerry rigged in place so it doesn't bang around and break something else.

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
It's possible that's what she's telling you to try and rationalize it too. Just food for thought, not trying to start anything between you and your missus.

trust me I know when she is trying to say something but not actually say it, it's one of those techniques you learn when you get married lol

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-22-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the multi-quote feature to respond to quote multiple people in one post.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Ah, well, um... I'd absolutely fix that well before doing anything else.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Starting Member

that's why I am getting new leaf springs that way it fixes that issue and lowers it all in one fell swoop.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 PM

I mean like... I'd do that NOW. If she's worried about your truck falling and such, well, that'll do it. That's very unsafe to drive with.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Starting Member

don't have the money to fix it now it's not going to snap or anything it is just the bottom leaf is gone and it has 3 leafs left and the end part of one of the leafs is shoved in there and held in the original bracket just with new bolts trust me if I had the money I would fix it but yeah I can't

I also have another issue with my spark plugs I have had 2 of them just randomly pop out on me still attached to the wire they just fell out so I have had to re tighten them and hope they don't pop back out bc that clicking noise is annoying as hell just happened to me today I was so mad

Will these leaf springs fit on my Blazer

5954 - Belltech - Rear Leaf Spring 3" At StylinTrucks.com

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-22-2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond. Rules are rules.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by 89Recon
...someone said I can take them completely out is that true? if I take them out what supports them and keeps them from moving?...
TR1 and xgio already gave you good advice but just to answer your question about the torsion bars, I drew a super quick (and oversimplified) illustration.

The torsion bar connects the lower control arm (LCA) to a cross member underneath the front seats. The bar is held in place by the torsion bar key and there's the bolt used to adjust the height. The bolt is held in place by a small metal block resting on the cross member (you can sort of see it in the second pic below). If you remove the bolt completely, the torsion bar key will just rest on the block itself. Hope that helps

Last edited by mdehoogh; 12-22-2011 at 10:05 PM. Reason: typo ;)
Old 12-22-2011, 08:49 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

nice drawing skills

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 PM

That's actually a darn perfect drawing actually, haha.

Quick Reply: Thinking about lowering