New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

96 blazer not too healthy

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 09:18 PM
hazard.jon is on a distinguished road
Default 96 blazer not too healthy

Hello all,

Forts I am obviously new to this site, not an experienced mechanic but have 2 friends who are (one is a diesle mechanic) that have been helping me when they have time.
I recently acquired a 1996 blazer that had been sitting for two years. After changing oil and filter, battery and visibly worn vacuum lines and checking all other fluids I started it and it fired right up only to find it needed intake gaskets. They were replaced as were the plugs wires distributor cap and rotor. Fired it up and it ran fine. After only two trips less than 10 miles it began to hesitate while starting and then would not start all together, replaced cmp. Here is where the real problem began. It starts up, although hesitant at times but runs rough, it is also severely restricted power wise and oil pressure rises to 80 on the gauge at higher rpm then I heard popping sounds coming from all along different points in the exhaust pipe. I checked the cat converter which was glowing orange and replaced it finding a bunch of Gunk and debris in the old one. The problem still persists and the cat still gets hot. I am at a loss. I have been told it is getting too much fuel somehow and could be many things of which my mechanic friends have cleared a few (details to come). Anyone have any ideas? I am sorry for the length and lack of detail, have been working on it for 16 hours and I thought id fish for some ideas before I hit the sack. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Starting Member
CenTexBiker is on a distinguished road

what codes are you pulling?

Old 03-10-2012, 09:33 PM

The only one I recall was random misfire. I don't recall anything else showing up and don't recall code # off top of my head. Like I said, been at it for quite a while and my brain isn't having any of that thinking stuff at the moment. Lol. Thanks for reply, I will re-scan and post what I find tomorrow.

Last edited by hazard.jon; 03-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by hazard.jon
The only one I recall was random misfire. I don't recall anything else showing up and don't recall code # off top of my head. Like I said, been at it for quite a while and my brain isn't having any of that thinking stuff at the moment. Lol. Thanks for reply, I will re-scan and post what I find tomorrow.
P0300 is the code. Buddy used a snap on sonus or solus? Scan tool.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from a fellow New Yorker, how is the fuel pressure and the injector. I recommend checking the correct thread.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Starting Member
bigbadblazer91 is on a distinguished road

hi from Ontario,
good luck