New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

another noob from CT

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 09:18 PM
mierze is on a distinguished road
Default another noob from CT

Hi guys! Ive had a chance to check out the site and I must say its pretty good. Sounds like theres a few people on here who know what theyre talking about. I just picked up my very first Blazer a couple days ago. Its a 95 LT (4 door, 4WD) in black with grey leather and all the options. Im pretty impressed with how well it has aged. Mostly everything is in usable condition, but Im giving it a thorough work over anyway just to be safe. Its got 160k on the clock, so the engine needs attention. The previous owner told me one or both of the head gaskets were shot. From what Im hearing, its most likely the intake gasket but Im going to do a full gasket set while its all apart. Im surprised with how easy it is to work on. Nothing is seized. Not like the 89 Camaro I had. Total PITA. In half a day (a very casual afternoon in the garage) I managed to get the front accessories off, the valve covers removed, and the upper and lower intakes off as well. Also removed the radiator, fan, shroud, etc. Serious milkshake in the oil. I hope I can get by with just some light machining of the heads and new gaskets. I wont be sure until I get the heads pulled tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone has done a write up of the head gasket replacement. Im a tech and know how to do it, but I like to have something to read while I do it, especially if a shortcut has been found. I could go buy the manual, I know, I cant see spending the 20 dollars for it when I know everyone on here has done this job. Ill get photos posted when I have a chance. Oh, and if anyone wants a set of 1st gen Blazer wheels, the previous owner threw them in the truck when I bought it. I was thinking about having them painted black, but if someone wants to buy them, make an offer.

Old 05-21-2010, 09:50 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum. Where r u from in CT. I'm from Plainville. I was surprised myself when I got my Blazer four years ago how easy it was to work on. I haven't gone too far like gaskets, but i replaced the entire alternator setup with a high output alternator and the alternator bracket cause the bolt snapped while i was taking it out lol.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome from New Zealand.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:10 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome! I have a 98 blazer, and taking out the radiator takes maybe 30 minutes now.... Its really easy after doing it 4-5 times.... Goodluck with your Gaskets

Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:31 AM
mierze is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the welcomes. Im sure you guys will be worth your weight in gold when I need some info. Davtak, Im from Middletown. The truck came from Terryville.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Cool, I work on the Berlin Turnpike so maybe I'll see ya around town lol. I drive a black blazer with halo headlights and a safari bar with blue off road lights on it.