New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

BF.com Community Map - See Who's Close! - FIXED 9/20/10!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM
jose987654321 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Go figure that ZeeMaps went to a paid service... They won't even let me log in to get the pinned coordinates out.
Not a huge issue. I was just interested in whom is in the st. Louis, MO area. Thanks

-jose

Old 05-15-2019, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Man, that sucks. Any new mapping websites we can use?

Old 05-16-2019, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I sent an email to ZeeMaps support and surprisingly they sent me the pinned data from the map. I didn't get time to mess with it last night, but I will see what I can accomplish tonight on finding a new, free map service.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Seems almost all of the utilities that are similar to ZeeMaps which allow users to add pins to a public map are on a similar payment plan. ZeeMaps was kind enough to export the CSV file with all of the member pin locations and send it to me, but I have been unsuccessful in finding an alternative that works like ZeeMaps did for free. I have found a few plugin alternatives that use the Google Maps API that would allow the map to be integrated into the forum and filled with location data provided by the user in their profile. I will see if I can get the site owners to implement this approach as it would be fully in our control moving forward and most importantly will be FREE (hopefully)!

I will edit that information into the first post in this thread as well.

Old 06-01-2019, 08:48 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Awesome! Thanks for doing all this!

Old 01-15-2020, 01:49 PM
Beginning Member
wadethenewf is on a distinguished road

eastern canada here, newfoundland hi all

Old 01-16-2020, 02:31 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

With the CSV of the locations could that possibly work on OSM www.osm.org (open-street-map)?

That could be a free alternative. Eventually even on the BF webserver using zoom layers about up to 3 or 4 maximum. Would pin location down to towns.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:53 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Maybe even just have a list by state of the towns that a person could look at. Doesn't have to necessarily be a map format.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:42 AM
Beginning Member
Veggie is on a distinguished road

Looked at this thread and thought it was a nice idea, only to realize the service got hidden behind a paywall andthe idea seems to be put on ice

Even though i won't be seeing much of you near me, Waze might provide some of the requested functionality and more.
Waze is a free navigation system with realtime traffic info, POIs, etc etc for Smartphones/Tablets (IOS and Android) and works pretty well.
With Waze you can see other people around you that also use Waze (you could also hide your position for the public)

You can also see your facebook friends if they use Waze, but for some that might be the thing: You'll have to have Facebook and be friends on Facebook

Then for site integration there are IFRAMES available:
https://developers.google.com/waze/iframe

I know that from a webmaster perspective using iframes can be a security hole, but since Waze is trusted and we are not exchanging any nuclear secret here, it might be worth looking at.

Just search for Waze on Google, Youtube, or the Appstore of your choice, can't miss it!

Old 08-12-2021, 03:49 AM
Starting Member
rdurost is on a distinguished road