New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

first time blazer/4x4 owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:46 PM
snuffymagee is on a distinguished road
Default Also a Newbie

I'm also new to this forum and a first time Blazer owner.

I just bought my first Blazer and it's a 1997 4WD. It's been sitting for several years so it's a project vehicle. I'm so glad I found this forum. I've been trolling through the threads and have found lots of helpful info...thanks to everyone!

I have two questions for now.

1. What is the best manual, or manuals, I should buy for mechanical issues. (I'll leave electrical to a pro) and are there any good videos available?

2. I'm VERY CONFUSED about the 4WD!!! I don't have a manual lever. I've seen pictures of Blazers that have a small push-button box on the dash. I have a hole in my dash where that would be. A local repair place with a mechanic who "specializes" in 4WD told me mine was automatic and I didn't need a control box. He said it automatically senses when I need 4WD and shifts in and out as necessary. SOUNDS FISHY TO ME!

Can anyone send me in the right direction to get started figuring this out?

MY SINCERE APOLOGIES TO MODERATOR AND EVERYONE ELSE. I just saw the rule stating I shouldn't ask for advice here. I'm not only new to this site but this is my first time on ANY forum. I didn't take the time to look around before posting. Please accept my apology and I'll try to find the right place to post this request.

Last edited by snuffymagee; 03-04-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Newbie mistake - just read the posting rules.