2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heater core???

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Starting Member
Gina is on a distinguished road
Default Heater core???

Hi my name is Gina and I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer ZR2 I've owned my truck for a year-and-a-half and I've had no problems whatsoever out of it other than the normal maintenance and wear and tear. About six months ago my foreman at work had a 2000 GMC Jimmy, and he was having problems with it it kept dying every time he would put it in gear and he could not figure out what was wrong with it. At one point it quit on him while he was out he was tired of it call the shop to have it fixed they said it was a fuel line and will cost about $500 to fix. He threw in the towel and sold the truck to me four parts for my zr2. Approximately a month ago I wrecked my truck so we began turn mine down and tearing the Jimmy down and replacing parts, last winter I started hearing like water rolling over the dash but nothing was getting wet my floorboard wasn't wet . I figure heater core was going out but still had high heat nothing was leaking it was just the rolling water sound coming over the dash. Well after I wrecked it and we were putting parts off the Jimmy on to the ZR2 I figured I might as well go ahead and change the heater core while I had it apart. So I took the heater core out of the Jimmy and put it into my ZR2 we put it back together and I started up ran fine and driveway it ran for a good 45 minutes I shut it off and the next day I go to take it to work and started up fine, I let it warm up and when I put it in drive it died, started it back up put it in drive and it died discontinued and I couldn't figure out what was going on for a few minutes. But then I realized but that's what was going on with his Jimmy and he couldn't figure out what was going on. But not only was my truck dying when I put it into .. drive, I also had no heat. It was blowing cold air. So my question is could the heater core cause it to die when I put it in drive? was it the heater cord it was messed up in his truck all along and I've just put it into my truck and now the mines doing the same thing? I what's going to flush the heater core out but now my truck won't start. it's pretty cold outside and they said to use hot water to flush the heater core but I'm worried that with it not being started and warmed up that it will mess something up in there.... could somebody please help me

Old 12-09-2018, 02:13 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Total coincidence , No heater core is even required to start and run your truck. If you changed the heater core which is a pretty big job , the stalling is more likely related to something not hooked up correctly when the dash was being put back in the truck.

Last edited by Strangerock; 12-09-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-10-2018, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

FYI: On our Blazers, because the heater core is relatively high compared to the fill point on the radiator, air can get trapped in the core and will cause the gurgling sound you heard from inside your dash.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:39 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Moved to '2nd Gen Tech'*