New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Im a newbie on here...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 02:07 AM
biggee247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Im a newbie on here...

Well first off, i have to buy a new battery, the alternator is good though, so autozone machine said. And also, i had him do the ses read and it came back as only one problem as to why the ses light was on and it was code P0442 and that code as they told me was emissions, and obdii said the same thing, it said: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak),..so i was told that it was something like a gas/fuel leak. So how could i actually determine as to where it is located so i can fix it? And is it only a small leak since that's what obdii said or could it be a big leak as well. I know its not where the fuel filter is located because i felt around there. So last two questions for this post, not the thread just the post, 1. How much roughly do you think this would cost? 2. Could this potentially make my fuel pump go out, because if so i dont want to drive it? Oh and one more 3. Should i drive it or keep it sitting?

Thanks alot for everyone cooperation.
Josh

Old 01-16-2006, 03:09 AM

My Blazer, Its in the members gallery w/more photos

*EDIT by swartlkk* fixed your link

Old 01-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P0442 - Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

The PCM pulls a vacuum on the gas tank during its normal checks. This code simply states that during that vacuum test of the tank, it detected a small leak. Basically, this can be anything from the gas cap not being put on tight enough to a leak in the evap purge lines running to the tank. It could also be a faulty gas cap or could be caused by over filling your tank at some point getting gas into the evap purge lines.

Did they clear the codes for you? If the didn't, go back and have them clear the codes out and see if it comes back.

In the meantime, make sure that after filling up you twist the cap until it clicks atleast 3 times. Never fill up the truck with the engine running (easy way to get fuel in the purge line). And to not overfill the tank... Now on the last one there, I fill mine up to the brim each time I go to the station and I have never (*knocks on wood*) had this problem. The first two suggestions are the big ones.

You are fine to drive the truck and in fact, that is the only way to see if it goes away. This code (and its associated problem) will have no effect on the fuel pump. As far as cost, if you can do the work yourself, it may cost you the price of some vacuum line (if it is indeed a vacuum line leak) or the price of a new gas cap (if the cap is found to be at fault).

Good luck and let us know!

Old 01-16-2006, 12:53 PM

Alright, i appreciate all your help, am i gonna have to drop the tank to check for this, or i mean i dont even know where to start, i may have to take it to the shop.

Old 01-16-2006, 02:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you need this fixed for an inspection sometime soon, I would just have the code cleared and go along with the suggestions I have already made. As in:

[ul][*]Try to make sure that you hear the gas cap click atleast 3 times when screwing it back in.[*]Always shut off the truck when you fill up the gas tank[*]Try not to over fill it
[/ul]

I suppose it is possible that the vacuum line to the tank was damaged in the fuel pump change and that might require the tank to be dropped again.

Here's the more thurough explanation:
SMALL EVAP LEAK TEST
The control module performs the Small EVAP Leak Test in order to detect a small leak in the following components of the EVAP system:

[ul][*]The fuel tank [*]The fuel filler cap [*]The fuel filler neck [*]The EVAP canister [*]The EVAP vent valve [*]The EVAP vapor pipes and hoses
[/ul]
The Small EVAP Leak Test does not test the EVAP purge solenoid for leaks.
In order to run the Small EVAP Leak Test the control module performs the following steps:
[ul][*]Turn OFF the EVAP purge valve. [*]Following the passed Weak Vacuum Test and while the EVAP vent valve is still turned ON or closed, run the Small EVAP Leak Test. [*]Monitor the fuel tank pressure sensor signal.
[/ul]
The control module monitors the vacuum trapped in the system. If the control module detects an excessive decrease in the vacuum that is trapped in the system, a DTC P0442 is set.

I'll try to find some more info for you as well, but try what I've already stated.

Oh yeah... Here's a schematic of the EVAP system:

[IMG]local://upfiles/667/DAD7879532DE48569762326A45919F5A.gif[/IMG]

Old 01-16-2006, 06:16 PM

Is that the top of the fuel pump.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Administrator

No, that is just a schematic of the EVAP system. The fuel tank is '9' on the image and there are other lines running off of it. One to the charcoal canister and the other (rather large one) is the fuel fill neck. One part of the system that is missing is the vacuum line that runs from the EVAP purge solenoid to the intake manifold. This line is required to pull the vacuum on the system during its check. A small leak like what was detected could be in the vent solenoid, the fuel cap, or could be a bad seal on the new fuel pump/sending unit assembly.

Who knows, but start off by making sure that you properly tighten down the fuel cap and don't overfill the tank. Have the code cleared and see if it comes back. If it does, you might have to look at buying a new gas cap.

If that doesn't fix it, more investigative work is necessary, ie. inspecting the vent solenoid and purge solenoid as well as all of the vacuum lines in the system.

If that yeilds no results, you may have to drop the tank, but try everything else I suggested first before going through that ordeal all over again.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Okay well i always tighten it w/like fifteen clicks, that might be an exaggeration, but i do click it alot so i know it wouldnt be that, umm..the one other one that it could be is just the gas cap as being bad, so ill try that tonight, and clear the codes and see how that goes. If that dont work, ill ask you how to do the other things youa re talking about because i honestly have no idea what those are lol, and i definately dont want to have to drop the tank again. I know i put all those wires back up to fuel pump on really good, so i dont think they are those, but you never know, it was my first time ever putting the pump in and back up so ya never know. I appreciate all your help, it's not everyday you find someone that takes time like that to help out some one so i appreciate it. But ill try those tonight, and have him clear the codes and see if that helps anything. If not ill definately let you know. Im trying to go the cheapest route possible because im on a fixed income. But thanks again, and oh yeah go check my blazer on the photo gallery, i love it, i just took those pics last night also. Ill be posting some up of day time as well. And when it's clean.

Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM

One other thing im thinking it could be is that whenever i first put the fuel pump in, i was low on gas and didnt want to kill the car while i was filling it up so i left it running while i filled the tank up, and i filled it up almost over filled it probably, so i know that it could be that, and one other thing, on the actually gas tank neck part that goes up to where you put the gas tank on, there is that like hose that comes off of the neck about an inch away and connects back to the gas tank as well, i heard that had something to do w/the air or something, and that was really loose when i put it on, so that could be it, i hope not because i definately dont want to have to drop the tank again, and i know it might be that for the simple fact that it doesnt have a clamp on it, and i had to force it down on there. So you think that could be what's going on with

Old 01-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Well, anything that has to do with the sealing of the gas tank can be suspect. The smaller tube you spoke of is so the main filler neck doesn't get air locked and spew fuel back out at you. It is actually called the 'vent hose'... Anyway, there should be a clamp on both the vent hose and the filler tube. That right there could be your problem. The proceedure for changing the filler neck and vent hose assembly does not include dropping the tank so it should be fairly straight forward. Not to mention that you don't even need to disconnect the vent hose to put a clamp around it. Click on the pic at the bottom for a look at a 4 door filler neck arrangement. '1' on the pic is the filler neck ground strap and '2' is the connection between the filler neck/vent hose and the fuel tank.

Anyway, I try to help out whenever I can. I need to stop doing it when I'm at work though... Gonna get in trouble sometime...
[IMG]local://upfiles/667/6E79152C07CD4E4CAF7DBAC4FD039EEA.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Im a newbie on here...