New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy in Buffalo, NY

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:46 AM
jeffinpa is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Pa.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:53 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 PM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JeremyNYR
Thanks guys! I love the international participation here. Foxxie, your sig pic is awesome.

I can't believe how excited I'm getting about picking up and fixing this Blazer! I used to drive my father's 93 Explorer pretty often when I was just out of high school back in '98-2000 and it was cool, but the gas cost was rough on me at the time and I didn't really have a need to haul stuff around (not to say that the dark tinted windows and roomy back seat didn't come in handy a few times). Now i have an easier time paying for the gas and now that I own a house I find myself taking almost weekly trips to Home Depot and Lowe's. It'll also be great for hauling hockey equipment and taking hunting trips. Oh and I'll probably throw in a tight to the right side in the back to add to the enjoyment
Yeah it's a bit of a head turner.
Thanks mate.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:39 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Rochester sayin' hey!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
JeremyNYR is on a distinguished road

Well I checked it out this past weekend, but didn't snap any pictures. The body is completely solid, I couldn't find a spot of rust on or under it! The only surface rust was on the door hinges and I really had to search to find that! So that's the good news. The bad news is the engine is also toast. I'm 80% sure it has a rod knock, possibly from over-revving when the tranny starting slipping on the highway. Anyway, the plan is changing slightly. I'm still most likely going to take on the project, but I'm also looking at the option of buying a newer blazer or trailblazer with around 50k miles.

Anyway, if I do continue forward with this one, I'd rebuild the engine with the help of my brother in law who previously built a BBC (which I helped on a little bit) and I'd send the current tranny out for a full rebuild. This would net me a newly rebuilt engine and tranny with a solid body and excellent leather interior for a total of $2500 invested. not too bad! The 4wd system was repaired recently, but I don't know how extensive the work was. I'd probably take a look at the rear axle just to be sure it isn't on its way out with the 140k miles it's seen.

So now that the engine and tranny are coming out, I'm curious to know what it takes to pull them out together rather than apart. This is how I swapped drivetrains on my Trans Am twice and I basically just removed the distributor cap so I could swing it down low enough to clear the crossmember on the way out. Can this be done on a Blazer or is the firewall/crossmember clearance too tight to make it feasible? I figure if I can avoid dropping the tranny while on my back in the driveway, I'd like to go that route.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from Long Island.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
JeremyNYR is on a distinguished road

I picked up the Blazer last weekend and spend some time the past two evenings cleaning the interior. It was very messy inside! Just vacuuming and cleaning the dash/center console made a big improvement. I should've taken before pics, but here's how it looks now. Not perfect with the sun fading on the center console and still some cleaning to do, but not a bad start. This weekend I get into the mechanical fixes.

I also got some work done on my Trans Am getting the new rims and tires installed