New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

POS blazer from MI

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Starting Member
Romodavid15 is on a distinguished road
Default POS blazer from MI

Hi I have a 98 Chevy Blazer that I ended getting for free however I hate it already. This blazer has been in the family since new. Always maintained mechanically and never really abused. I'd like to tell you all how problematic the car you all pride yourselves in really is..

It is at 181k miles currently. Let's start with the BAD..

-Door started sagging a while ago. Thus causing the door hinge to snap off the frame after trying to shut the door. Door is now bolted shut.
-4x4 stopped working like 20-30k miles ago. (4hi engages, pulls only rear wheel)
-Heat is very weak, temp. control doesn't work neither does the **** for where you want air (feet, face, window) No a/c of course either.
-Wiper motor does not work. (tried everything for this)
-Starter is starting to grind on startup
-Rear view mirror fell off
-Rear wiper no work
-Shocks completely blown (at 181K!) Never towed anything, REGULAR use.
-Tie rod ends replaced however front end still feels VERY loose
-Half the speakers don't work
-passenger side manual seat adjuster lever broke off (unfixable) so it is stuck in an uncomfortable position
-Nasty transmission leak from the pan, I check trans fluid regularly.
-I average like 14mpg
-***** all broke off the radio
-Takes a while to get into drive from park or reverse
This is just off the top of my head..

I CAN say some good though. The motor and trans runs pretty flawlessly. I can feel some power loss and the trans is getting jerky but running (for now). Driver side heated seat still works (Thank God) and the paint seems to be holding up pretty nicely as well.

I have this car for winter use because my summer car is being stored. I'm starting to regret taking this car into my possession for FREE. I'd sell it but nobody will buy it in the condition it's in. So with that being sad, I will be on this forum regularly TRYING to fix this step by step but I have a feeling I won't do a damn thing because nothing seems to work how it should in the first place. After all this I CAN say I'd never buy a GM product ever again. Complete trash IMO however I'm stuck with it. So hey everyone!

Last edited by Romodavid15; 12-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Does not sound like it was maintained if ALL of that does not work, Sounds like the previous owner treated it like total hell..
Its a good thing you got it for free or else they really saw you coming from a mile away.
When these trucks are properly taken care of, They will last forever.

I have a 93 with 170k miles and its been extremely reliable

I had a 94 that ended its life with 202k miles (some kid hit it and totaled it, could have gotten another 75k out of it easily) and the only things I had to do on the 94 was Radiator, brakes, oil change, shocks, and a battery. Got it with 160k, so in 42k miles in 2.5 years thats all that it needed.. not bad if you ask me.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Let's start with the shocks that blew after only 181 K.. even though you never towed anything.
ROFLMAO

Then the wandering all over the road:
Pitman or UCA ball joints or more likely both.

All these START needing attention at about 100K or ten years.

And it doesnt sound to me like it WAS well maintained or a lot of that would have been attended to already.

It's a freakin' TRUCK. Trucks are higher maintenance than cars.

You want LOW Cost of ownership? Drive a nineties Mustang or Tbird V6. Even then.. there's things that go bad like clockwork. Head Gaskets on the 3.8L. Just part of the deal.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Wanna pass it on? Ill take it off your hands if you dont wanna do some minor repairs. LOL

Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pettyfog
.......... Drive a nineties Mustang or Tbird V6. Even then.. there's things that go bad like clockwork. Head Gaskets on the 3.8L.....
no kidding on that one....94-98 stangs eat head gaskets like fat kids eat twinkies.

yeah, sorry to say...any car over 100k is gonna start showing some wear....they dont last forever if you dont maintain them.
and honestly most of that sounds like minor things that have been neglected to the point where they turned into a mountain of things.

i too will gladly give you what you payed for it any day of the week...AS IS.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome