Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Homemade Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member
94 S10 Blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Homemade Supercharger

Ok so i was thinking the other day of some ideas for my truck and thought it might be possible to make a supercharger out of an electric leaf blower. This may be pure stupidity or genious im not sure you guys have any ideas on how this could work on not work.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

It would not work. A supercharger is belt driven. Mechanical energy > mechanical energy. Running a leaf blower would require converting the 12VDC from the battery (which was converted from mech. energy via alternator) to 115VAC in order for the leaf blower to even turn on. The motor in the leaf blower will convert the 115VAC back to mechanical energy for the fan in it.

Even though the alternator would normally be charging the battery, adding anything electrical will put more strain on the batt.

Engine > alt > batt > dc/ac converter > motor in leafblower

The energy lost in the conversion(s) would outweigh any benefit you might see (which wouldn't be much) from the added air being pushed through

Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

u cant be serious

Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can carry enough cord with you to power it. You will not power it off of the vehicle and hope to make any gains.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member
94 S10 Blazer is on a distinguished road

ok good that saves me alot of time working on something that would never work thanks guys

Old 03-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Beginning Member
jayve bass is an unknown quantity at this point

You can go electrical. It's just as expensive as a roots style blower that's powered by you're engine. And, you can only run it for about 15 seconds at a time before it get too hot and drains the batteries. Good for quarter mile runs only. I think it's made by Thomas Knight.

Attached Thumbnails Homemade Supercharger-el-sup.jpg  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Cavalier z24 is on a distinguished road

lol that had me laughing for a good 5 minutes i had to call a few buddy's and tell them about it

Old 03-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What was attached above would actually work as it is a roots type supercharger powered by electric motors instead of by the crankshaft. It would have to be gear driven as a real roots type blower turns at close to 3 times crankshaft speed (talking about a stock M90 on the 3800S2). As stated, it could only be ran for short periods of time as it would definitely draw A LOT of juice and create a ton of heat. An issue that I have with this is that it runs at a constant speed.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:25 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

LOL, April 1st is still a few days away. Hey wait a minute... You were serious?

Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

ok but this is sad, i had a friend that got bored and did this once to a honda. he cut the plastic shaft and duct taped it onto the throttle body then plugged into a 120 convertor. we hooked up a boost gauge after he said his butt dyno noticed an improvement. it showed a gain from the 14 psi vacuum to about 3 psi boost. but as they said earlier the downfalls are far above the real gains. alternator and battery drains, okward placement and size, and who knows how bad it could all go if left installed for any period of time.

Quick Reply: Homemade Supercharger