Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

im a turbo noob..help please.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheBrettster
Ugh, if your going to do it just buy a v8, i went down this route and it was a huge waste of money. Theres a only one person i know of who was successful and he now has a blown engine.
PVT Pablo-did you read this post? it was already pointed out that a v8 swap would be more cost effective.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:48 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeinwi
PVT Pablo-did you read this post? it was already pointed out that a v8 swap would be more cost effective.
Its ok he was just reassuring that my prior statement.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by boomtruck97
you should NEVER add a turbo to a car that didnt start that way and use it as a daily. it will be unrelaiable and very expensive.
I enjoy this comment. I had a good laugh because my buddy has an 03 cavalier that he turbo'd. It's his daily driver and he's never had a problem with it being unreliable.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:19 AM
UR50SLO is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess no one really notices the Typhoon manifold swap with stock engine and Marine intake.
It's a cheap way to go and works great. We run it on our 98 4dr Jimmy. It has over 160,000mi on the stock engine NEVER rebuilt! IT"S STOCK! We've put over 25,000mi
on it turbocharged now.
It's my wifes's daily driver. And I'll bet with it in 4wd and a 8lb boost launch it'll run in the 13's at over 100mph in the 1/4. She's spanked many Mustangs with out a boost launch in 2wd.
It'd be perfect for your truck.
HPTuners is what is used to tune it.
Link to how to do it: http://www.fullthrottlev6.com/forums...ad.php?t=50198

I like the LS1's .. but you'd still have far less doing a Typhoon exhaust mnfld swap on your stock engine.

Anyone who nukes their engine does not have a good tune or is greedy with boost with poor tune. Period. Or they "Think" they are a tuner...

I turbo'd my 89Nissan Maxima.. Let see... It had 181,000mi on it and now has 245,000. It runs 13.40@108mph. Get's 25mpg in town and 31mpg on highway.
Two Camaro's I turbo'd.. 97&98. 3.8L The 98 went from 15.80@78mph to 12.73@108mph. Never had the valve cover off it. STOCK engine,trans,rear. Turbo setup/injectors/tune.

So... YES it is possible to do on a budget... with dependabilty and power.
~Scott

Old 06-05-2009, 11:58 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Above post... QFT!!

Just about all gm v6's can handle ~5-8psi easily without heavy fueling modifications. I've done alot of 2nd gen z24 (2.8 & 3.1L) with turbos. I've helped to swap a 3.4 into one and turbo'd that. I'm working on a 3.5L with a friend, yes it will be turbo'd.

All we ever did was add an inline fuel pump on top of the stock unit. For the 3400 we had to step up the injectors as well. All these swaps and turbos have been running for a couple years now, and they pull just as hard as day one. The old iron head 2.8L that we built is a monster though... 12psi daily and yet to catch a hiccup in 3 years...

Old 07-06-2009, 05:27 AM
Beginning Member
tred2587 is an unknown quantity at this point

alright guys... i have an 86 s-10 blazer that im lookin into droppin in an a 4.3 and then adding a turbo but before droppin in the engine i am going to modify it with heads, valves, cam, crank etc. what do ya recommend a cmfi like the typhoon or a tbi like most 93 and below have...

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
turtlehumper2000 is on a distinguished road

I find this thread and most the turbo threads on this site very interesting because people always sayif you do it your going to have problems blah blah blah. Well i have turboed a few cars (kinda what i do for a living) and i have never had any come back with any problems and about 80% are turbo kits i built from scratch. Looking at my truck i dont see any problem in truboing it at all. as long as you dont get boost happy (which i beleive has already been said) you should be ok. The one thing i do see being an issue is fuel delivery but with a booster pump you can probally do 12psi with a decent tune no problem and if you wanna do more i beleive UR50SLO has already presented a very good solution for the fuel delivery. There is an entire website on how to build a turbo kit for our trucks that is more than what you need. If your gonna do it then do it. If not then do the V8 swap but i think for what you wanna do the turbo is better for a DD because you still retain some fuel economy (depending on your tune). But thats just my 2 cents