Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

4wd problems 95 blazer vin W floor shift trans case

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM
jordanroch is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd problems 95 blazer vin W floor shift trans case

Hey there

I think I have the right thread... I'm having some problems with my 4wd.

First off, I have a 1995 s10 Blazer. 2door, 4wd with W vin motor and floor **** transfer case. The problem I'm having with 4wd is first off I know the cable that locks front differential in is broke off about 2 1/2 inches from the differential... I tried pulling it with a pair of vice grips and locking it in with them and putting it in 4wd H/L but still dont get nothing to pull from the front end. (Cable only pulls about 1/4" or so before it gets tough to pull. didn't pull no further)

The vacuum actuator doesn't have the spring on it to hold the front end cable in it. - Haven't checked it's operation yet. Planning on doing it in the AM.

On the floor shifter, none of the lights light up for TC Status monitor (No 2H/4H/N/4L Lights. (Guessing at a harness - Looking for a wiring diagram to test it out.) And it feels kind of sloppy pulling it from 2H to 4H like it doesn't click in on the shifter, but if i pull it back while pressing button into N (2L) and go back up one to 4H it goes in but when in overdrive/drive/1/2 etc or R it is just in neutral but in 4Low/2Low(N) It pulls but only from rear tires. -

I'm probably going to need to replace all vacuum lines also - Is there a diagram and how much ft and what dia. hoses do i need? Preferably for whole truck...

I know I'm probably going to need the vacuum actuator for the 4wd, and would a cable clamp for the broke cable coming out of axle? How far should it pull to lock in and How much vacuum required to pull actuator? Can i buy the spring seperate or do I have to buy the whole actuator?

Is there any way to replace the whole cable? How hard is it to do?

if anything missing let me know i will add tomorrow thanks

Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Okay people. Good news is, I got the cable fixed and found a spring to hold the front end cable in the actuator and joined where it was broke in two with a cable clamp...

Bad news is, The manual floor shifter doesn't quite push it into 2Hi, It feels kind of sloppy in between 2Hi/4Hi and I'm guessing it just doesn't click in to 2Hi. -Even though it looks like it's in 2Hi there's still vacuum applied to the actuator. (What's the fix?). So I guess the previous owner had it disconnected in such a way that so that the front Driveshaft from the Transfer case is still turning with it in 2wd > I guess that's causing me a good couple of mpg's..

Also noticed with it in 4wd, have a little clicking coming from front right tire.. Looked underneath... CV Boot is split and grease coming out all around that area. Does anyone recommend a specific brand to replace? and is it okay to replace one without the other? Also will it hurt to leave it for a little while(due to money)? in 2wd it doesn't click at all. Hardly need 4wd but now I have it might take it out some.. lol

Thanks in Advance again people!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:43 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You would have gotten many more responses if you would have posted this in the correct section. The section you posted this in is for off roading stories. I will have a mod of this section move it.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:53 AM

Didn't realise it was in the wrong section as it's named Off-Roading. I figured that 4WD was considered 'Off-Roading' lol, anyway, Mod please move to appropriate forum.

I think I found the problem with getting it back into 2Hi after getting stuck in 4Low while testing the 4wd. - Where the shift cable almost goes to the Transfer case Selector, there is a small bracket that had opened up a little and let go of the cable. Pushing from 4Low to 2High on the floor shifter only resulted in the cable flexing under the blazer and not actually pushing it out of 4Low. It was late at night and I had to get to work the next morning so I pulled the cable off the side of the TC and took a crescent wrench and manually put it in 2Hi. My front driveshaft isn't locked in anymore and there doesn't seem as much of a load on the motor going down the road. Never knew I been driving it all this time with it in 4wd without the front end locked in. Runs a whole lot smoother now but the problems with the TC Status lights on the floor are still there. I dont really really need it, but I like to fix things right. It'd be nice to get the leds working and the little piece that changes color when you put it in 4wd.

Thanks