Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

96 Blazer Mudd Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Beginning Member
TylerNormand is on a distinguished road

Well See I Am Fifteen. Ill Be 16 August 11th I Live With My Uncle And He Owns A Trucking Company He Has A Shop Welder All That So Yeah And I Am Sure He Can Do It All I Am Just Trying To Figure Out What I Want. I Gotta Get A Job When I Am 16. So Ill Have Money I Mean I Live With My Uncle All I Have To Pay Is My Gas So All The Rest Can Go To Parts. I Just Want Something That Is Unique Not Many People Around Here Have. But At The Same Time An Everyday Car For Work.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Please Dont Type Like This... Thank You....

Since it's going to be your daily and not a mud truck, I would just get some 2" shackles, and crank the tbars 1.5", get 31" Mud Terrains. Or add a 2" body lift and get a set of 32" mud terrains. Keep in mind if you go with a 12.5" wide tire, you need to get another set of wheels with a lower back space number because the tires will rub on the inner fenders and sway bar. Look up Pro Comp Wheels or Cragar wheels. They off wheels with a 4.5" backspace. Stock back space is 6". And bolt patten is 5 x 4.75.

To whoever reply's after me, keep in mind he wants cheap so don't suggest a SAS or 5-6" suspension kits since they are not cheap plus it has already been suggested in previous posts.

Thank you... lol

Old 07-28-2010, 02:41 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

As Dave said, please don't type with every word starting with a Capital. It makes it really hard and annoying to read.

I get your desire for something unique and bad a$$. Everyone wants a bad a$$ ride when they're 16. The simple fact is you won't want a truck like you're describing for a DD. Have you factored in things like:

- Gas mileage (will suffer EXTREMELY when you go with tires that big)
- Road noise (driving of big tires produces a lot of road noise which can be very annoying)
- Dating (most chicks aren't going to want to climb a step ladder to go on a date with you, expecially if theyre wearing those little skimpy skirts we all love)

To talk about making a truck like you want, then using it as a DD just isn't a good idea. It's a great idea to have a truck like that, but what you're describing is a purpose built truck. It's meant for the knarliest of trails and purely for mudding and off roading.

I also agree with Dave's suggestion to pick up a set of 31's (you'll spend around 750-1000$ depending on what type of tire you get) and go with a 2" shackle lift (you can get shackles for $50 on ebay). Then crank your tbars in the front and you'll still wind up with a pretty BA truck. If you still want to go higher after that, pick up a 2" body lift. They're in and around 200-250$.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Beginning Member
TylerNormand is on a distinguished road

Thank you. See i had no clue how much work and money it would take till now. What is the difference in a body lift and an axle lift? And what is a solid axle swap? Sorry if i sound like a dumbass i am just trying to learn.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:37 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

a body lift lifts the body higher off the frame. a suspension lift lifts the body and frame further from the wheels. a solid axle swap replaces the from independent suspension ie control arms, cv joints... ect with a solid one piece axle similar to the one in the rear only with steering components.

trust me you are 15 I'm 19 I've had my blazer for 2 1/2 years and I make $100-$300 a week at a part time job since I was 16 and only pay for gas and still have no where close to the amount of money to turn my truck into an off road rig. you have plenty of time to build an off road rig. my suggestion is to buy a daily driver either a car or whatever intrests you and when you get extra money buy a beater truck and have it as a project so that way you can add to it little at a time and still have a car to drive around. I'm getting close to getting another car so I can do work on my blazer (maybe) but if you want a true trail rig I wouldn't recomend an s10 there are many trucks that are easier to work with, tougher, and easier to customize than a blazer

Old 07-28-2010, 03:41 PM
InsaneIceCarver is on a distinguished road

well i know that i am kinda new to working on cars/trucks period, but me and my old man cranked the torsion bar up, with cragar soft 8s 30x9.5 long trails. All we had to do was pull a few bolts and took a hammer to clearance the front. It can handle alittle bit of mud and we got it done for $250 in total(course that was deal hunting though). but something like that might work for you until you can figure out how far you want to go from there.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I say just get some Rockwells, some 49" IROKS and go to town!

Old 07-28-2010, 07:35 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

WOW!!!

some of you guys have the nerve to say i come down hard on newbie's sometimes!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Sisk
- Gas mileage (will suffer EXTREMELY when you go with tires that big)
- Road noise (driving of big tires produces a lot of road noise which can be very annoying)
- Dating (most chicks aren't going to want to climb a step ladder to go on a date with you, expecially if theyre wearing those little skimpy skirts we all love)
Gas mileage wont be bad with good gearing (ask dave I think he gets 20 on the 33's)
Road noise? GO ahead and turn the volume up....
Dating? IF she dont wanna ride in the truck... make her walk

Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

my girlfriend doesn't mind lifted trucks.... in fact I think she is going to buy one

Last edited by Benedict1337; 07-29-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer Mudd Tires