Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

97 4wd 4door Blazer Body lift? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Starting Member
Lazer360 is on a distinguished road
Default 97 4wd 4door Blazer Body lift? Worth it?

So I have been really edging towards getting a 2 or 3" body lift on my stock 4 door 1997 Blazer and go with 31" wheels. But I am wondering whether it will really make a difference. I live in Colorado and take pretty rough roads to trail heads and what not, but I have been wanting to worry less about bottoming out etc... plus it would look really cool. I was wondering if doing a 3" body lift with larger tires would be worth it. I'm not looking to do a suspension lift though since its too expensive. Any thoughts or photos of late 90's 4 door blazers with the 2 or 3" body lift?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

i just did mine, i have a 98'. It is totally worth it, but alot of work.

get a pic up soon

Old 06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I have been off-roading for 40 years & I have never lifted a 4x4. I have yet to see a stock 4x4 with a lift go any place that I couldn't. Ask any old 4x4 guy & you will quickly learn that the trick to getting in & out is driving skill, not so much the 4x4.
But I know I'm wasting my time even saying this because the young generation has more money to waste than I do.
Look at the pictures Iposted of recovering an FJ & tell me where a lift would of helped either of us. Note the time it took to cover 12 miles. It wasn't because we didn't know where the gas pedal was. It was because of the extreme rough, rocky, steep route in & out. In the dozens of times traveling in that area over a 40 year span. A lifted 4x4 never did any better. In fact they had more difficulty because of a higher center of gravity.
Sorry, I wasted everyone's time what does an old man with 40 years of experience in both off-road pleasure & racing.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 PM
Starting Member
Lazer360 is on a distinguished road

Oh I definitely get you Blazer guy. And I am kinda leaning towards that. Just I have been in several occasions where a rut or roll prevented me from going any further not because of driving skill but just because there was no possilble way to get around it without bottoming out. Also a few water crossings in there. I definitely don't want to get a suspension lift thats just ridiculously expensive, I'm just hoping a small body lift and slightly larger tires will buy me a little more wiggle room, aslo it just looks really cool.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:11 AM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

I have a 2000 model with a 2" b.l. While I do agree with Blazerguy, my line of thinking is as follows. The lowest point to clear obstacles are the diffs. The only way to solve this issue is to run larger tires. The only way to do this without chopping up the body of my Blazer is to lift the vehicle for clearance; body or suspension lift. IMO, a body lift is deffinately the practical, cost efficient, and easiest way of producing these results. Larger tire clearance (31x10.5,15) was my main goal for installing my body lift. Not only was it successful at this task, but the looks was an added bonus.

Last edited by jdespain; 06-11-2010 at 01:20 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 AM
Starting Member
Dbam31 is on a distinguished road

Lazer, a body lift will not help you in any way with off-roading or getting unstuck, the only thing it will do will allow bigger tires, as 31's. Which won't do much better than the same 28" tire, now if it was a 35' or bigger, than your seeing your 4x4 capabilities increase.

now blazer guy, this is gonna sound really direspectful, but how can you say that a lift does nothing for 4x4? You can't just say oh, "this doesn't work cuz i never had a problem?" Your type of 4x4ing must be very moderate. While your correct saying an experienced driver can get thru anything is true in a sense. It's flawed. Try going through a river crossing, and theres no way around. Your stock blazer will get flooded and stall, now a blazer with an 8 inch lift, much better chance of getting thru. Can your Blazer Rock Crawl? Absoblutley NOT! don't give a bs answer either, you can't achieve that without a type of lift.

The problem is kids buy lifts for looks, and have no dam idea what there doing, but don't disrespect those of us with lifts. I am a kid, I have a lifted blazer, that lift has come in handy so many times. I believe that I am a novice at offroading, i've been many places and done many things.

Those kids with money may be ******, but most of us are the kids who are improving the industry and making cars better, and making lifts for vehicles to become more versitile for suiting the needs of peoples hobbys.

4x4ing is a hobby, career, and passion. And i am sorry if I offended you. I am just tired of people giving the younger gen. a bad name just because we do things different.

And for you lazer, a Body Lift is almost entirely for looks like I said. It will help with fitting bigger tires, but if you don't have spacers or rims with an un-stock backspacing they will rub, and almost loss there purpose besides going straight.

My suggestion, get a 2 inch suspension lift, and 29" all terrain tires and your set.

Jdespain also makes a great point that I forgot.

Last edited by Dbam31; 06-11-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM
1997 blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

i run 31 on my 97 4 door with no lift just a little trim on the bottom of the fender and i wheele all the time like that and i had big trucks before with 35 and its not worth it i agree with 4x4blazerguy