Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Bug Out Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Beginning Member
95offroadhopeful is on a distinguished road

I agree with Neo. Electronics are gonna be a problem in the long run. For those of you that know (cuz I don't); What are the NON-vital electronic systems in the Blazer that can be safely removed, and replaced, with something more durable?

Old 07-15-2012, 12:57 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The problem isn't gonna be replacing the non vitale ones. The vital ones like the fuel injection and ignition system. Carb is an easy answer for injection. Ignition is gonna be tricky since you gonna have to step back to 60s tech and use points. Easy for v8 guys but how are you gonna easily retrofit parts on something not made untill 10 years after hei become pretty standard. Hell on a 2nd gen the entire gauge cluster is electronic.

To answer the main question non vital is pretty much creature comforts. Radio, power locks and windows, push button 4x4, power seats, and the list goes on depending on options.

Imho any first gen with cable speedo (88/89 and earlier) could be made to be emt resistant, any 85 and older with carb would be ideal. Once the electronic dashes were added it become harder, by obd2 its gonna be next to impossiable unless you totally rebuild the truck. Unless you just inlove with the 2nd gen body and love tinkering you could just get an old truck and have it for backup.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Beginning Member

I've heard rumors (just rumors mind you) of people replacing the push-button 4x4 system with a manual one (or something like it anyway). This means cutting a hole in the floor board but, if it is what you want I guess anything is possible. Also, there is info for making a manual 4x4 to electronic out of convenience sake.

Some links to help maybe...
Electric to manual 4x4 shift conversion - S10V8 Conversion Community & Parts Store

Push Button 4x4 Conversion - S-10 Forum

Sorry folks, its from a Ford site...
Electronic 4x4 to manual 4x4 swap...possible? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Old 07-16-2012, 01:18 PM

plenty of writeups on getting rid of the push button. Using factory parts its a bolt in swap.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

The chances of nuke strike are significantly lower than civil unrest. I would not worry about em radiation. I would concern myself with surviving without infrastructure. I would say people in the tin foil are more concerned with aliens tickling their cows prostate so let them go their own route...

Personally I have goods in a foot locker and my ar with mags in the case ready to go at all times.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by USMC3782
The chances of nuke strike are significantly lower than civil unrest. I would not worry about em radiation. I would concern myself with surviving without infrastructure. I would say people in the tin foil are more concerned with aliens tickling their cows prostate so let them go their own route...

Personally I have goods in a foot locker and my ar with mags in the case ready to go at all times.

While i like the prepper mindset of being prepared for anything i also understand the chance of me making it alive is slim to none. I have a US arsenal in my back yard
Pine Bluff Arsenal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and a missile plant a hour south of me
Lockheed Martin Missiles/Fire Control, Camden Operations: IW Best Plants Profile 2006 | Companies & Executives content from IndustryWeek
As a vol firefighter we are also trained and outfited as an emergency hazmat team, I know the dangers the govbomb has allowed us to be told.

Most of the people that are worried about radiation have no need but there are a few of us that might and are in confirmed target zones.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road

USMC3782, glad to see somebody had a similar thought process to me, get my guns and go. As far as the blazers go, as we all know these little things are pretty capable in most situations mines mostly stock and can go places my buddies 08 silverado can't dream of going.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Starting Member
USMC3782 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kenny100034
USMC3782, glad to see somebody had a similar thought process to me, get my guns and go. As far as the blazers go, as we all know these little things are pretty capable in most situations mines mostly stock and can go places my buddies 08 silverado can't dream of going.
The reason i have a blazer not a full size is it is more agile overall. i am looking to get a trailer for mine off the govt liquidation web site. perfect for carrying gear. I am not saying things are going to get off the handle but if O wins and we end up losing our credit rating in the next few years the debt is going to explode and with current expenditures not going down....

more reason to buy in bulk

Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Beginning Member

Old 08-11-2012, 09:16 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

plus one good thing about these little trucks is they will be everywhere. so in the event you come across a populated area that is abandoned the odds are high that you will find parts.
i see over a 100 a day just in my little town.
walmart parking lots would be prime pickin spots.... just sayin

Quick Reply: Bug Out Blazer