Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Discreet front receiver?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Beginning Member
KD5NRH is on a distinguished road
Default Discreet front receiver?

99 4door, 2WD. I don't do a lot of heavy offroading, but I do have some land that I've been working on, and since I'm usually out there alone, getting stuck would be a real pain. What I'd like to do is put 2" receivers and wiring for a winch on both ends. Texas requires an unobstructed front license plate, and going below the stock plate mount would put the receiver/winch too low for my taste. Ideal would be some way to mount a receiver about where the front plate is now, and use one of the receiver-mount license plate brackets when I don't have the winch there.

What's available ready-made for this model, and what have people rigged up?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:34 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

They sell a set uo for the fullsizes where the hitch is flush with the bottom of the bumper and the inch sits on a tray. So it'll sit just about here the plate is

Old 04-19-2010, 09:50 AM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

I have recently aquired a reciever hitch from a local salvage yard from who knows what that I am in mid-process of (when I can find time to get to my Dad's house where the welder is) modifying it to bolt directly to where my tow hooks were and still sit flush with the bottom of the bumper. I can not use my hooks anymore since the body lift and installation of the bull-bar. Just an idea that I'm working on.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
rush1329 is an unknown quantity at this point

check these out man, mount where the tow hooks are like jdespain said... and check out the d-ring shackles also

http://shop.synergyoffroad.com/S-Ser...-RcvrTubes.htm

http://shop.synergyoffroad.com/Rampa...le-RAM8610.htm

Old 05-05-2010, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Well... if you're only using this when you're offroad, why not set up a receiver behind the plate with a flip down mount? Cut a hole in the air dam behind the plate and set up your hitch so it's flush with the air dam.

When you need a reciever, or that D-ring you just flip the plate down and slide it in...

Sort of the same way that guys put hitches on their trucks with roll pans... just in the front.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
Beginning Member
rush1329 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oktain
Well... if you're only using this when you're offroad, why not set up a receiver behind the plate with a flip down mount? Cut a hole in the air dam behind the plate and set up your hitch so it's flush with the air dam.

When you need a reciever, or that D-ring you just flip the plate down and slide it in...

Sort of the same way that guys put hitches on their trucks with roll pans... just in the front.

excellent idea oktain, however that could cause a problem if you live in a state like NJ, where the plate must be visible at all times, both front and back.. obviously every state is different but just somethin to keep in mind... i like the idea though!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:28 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

thats why he said
Originally Posted by oktain
Well... if you're only using this when you're offroad...
I dont think your Truck has to be street legal...when its not actually on the street lol

but again, evey state is different.
That would def be the route I would go though.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 PM
R3MiX is on a distinguished road

I mounted a hitch in the front of my ford. Basically what I did was take an existing rear hitch, and cut it down to fit between the frame rails, then set it in place, notched out the bumper slightly, and welded the sucker in. Sturdy as a rock. I'll get a pic of it when my gf gets back with the truck.

EDIT: Shes home, pics are up. It's not super discreet, but with some slight modifications, it will work. And I live in texas also, it meets all laws.

Last edited by R3MiX; 05-07-2010 at 09:30 PM.