Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Newby Off-road Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 PM
UrbanWild is on a distinguished road
Default Newby Off-road Question

I have a 2000 LT 4x4 with a newly rebuilt engine. I want to start doing more off road trips and was wondering if anyone has tried/used the Volant air filters. I am looking to keep my engine as cool as possible! Do those things really work?

Old 08-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Well to start a "cold air intake" doesn't actually do anything in the way of cooling a motor. The radiator and rest of the cooling system do that. The cold air intake is "suppose" to allow more and cooler air into the intake for combustion purposes. I have a Volant and I love it cause it looks good under my hood lol! To be honest that is really all it does besides make a little noise when you floor it. I'm sure it may add a hp or two but nothing noticeable that's for sure. Given the chance to purchase another I can't truly say if I'd spend the money again or not. Here's what it looks like in a blazer if your curious.

Attached Thumbnails Newby Off-road Question-imag0444.jpg  
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah the "cold" part to it means that it draws in cold air to the engine. Cool air burns better than hot air.
To better cool your engine upgrade your fan to an efan and maybe cut some vent holes in your hood.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by slcblazer
Yeah the "cold" part to it means that it draws in cold air to the engine. Cool air burns better than hot air.
To better cool your engine upgrade your fan to an efan and maybe cut some vent holes in your hood.
Thanks--but what's an 'efan'?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Electric fan. Check out my build thread I've got one of those to with details and pics of what's involved to install one

Old 08-06-2013, 10:42 AM

Amazing--your build thread is where I first saw the Volant filter! LOL!
BTW--your Blazer is awesome--nice work you've done to it.

Originally Posted by rexmburns
Well to start a "cold air intake" doesn't actually do anything in the way of cooling a motor. The radiator and rest of the cooling system do that. The cold air intake is "suppose" to allow more and cooler air into the intake for combustion purposes. I have a Volant and I love it cause it looks good under my hood lol! To be honest that is really all it does besides make a little noise when you floor it. I'm sure it may add a hp or two but nothing noticeable that's for sure. Given the chance to purchase another I can't truly say if I'd spend the money again or not. Here's what it looks like in a blazer if your curious.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Well thank you!