Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Off Roading in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Freewheel is on a distinguished road

Hello, hello! Nothing new over here! The wildfires are put out, and totally there were about 60k acres of woods burnt down, but from what i heard that's absolutely nothing compared to how much has burned in the U.S.!! The only thing good that came out of this is that there are lots of miles of gates,,(i dont know if they are called 'fire gates' in american like here?) to explore with the blazer!
All best /Nils

​​​​​​

​​​​​

Last edited by Freewheel; 09-09-2018 at 02:24 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:35 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Good to hear from you. Yes it was pretty bad over here. The smoke made it so that you could not see over a mile away or worse.

"Fire gates" well kind of. In the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon) we have lots of logging roads that have gates on them that are sometimes kept closed or opened only certain times of the year depending on concerns over erosion or disruption of wildlife. They'll be re-opened for logging activities too.

Happy exploring!

Old 09-10-2018, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Good to hear from you. Yes it was pretty bad over here. The smoke made it so that you could not see over a mile away or worse.

"Fire gates" well kind of. In the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Idaho, Montana, Oregon) we have lots of logging roads that have gates on them that are sometimes kept closed or opened only certain times of the year depending on concerns over erosion or disruption of wildlife. They'll be re-opened for logging activities too.

Happy exploring!

Nah, not really how i meant, i thought about the 50-60 meters wide and 30 miles long firebreaks (?) which were cut, and cleaned by excavators in a landscape mostly made of gravel, soil and sand, not much rocks and so, must make great offroad ground 🙃

Old 09-10-2018, 10:16 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Freewheel
Nah, not really how i meant, i thought about the 50-60 meters wide and 30 miles long firebreaks (?) which were cut, and cleaned by excavators in a landscape mostly made of gravel, soil and sand, not much rocks and so, must make great offroad ground 🙃
Oh yes. Fire breaks. Oh those could provide some fun access for exploring.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
How's the fishing? Any good in those lakes and streams? That is one of the things my Blazer takes me to do, albeit too infrequently. Where I go is the mountains of northern Idaho where the cutthroat trout live. :-)
To reconnect to this question. -yes, tjeres absolutely some good fishing around here in the river in the first pic of the tread there was wild salmon until the fifties when it was several powerplant built here, i think it's four or five just downstreams from my place! And we also have bass, pike, brook trout and louch here.. Btw here is a riddle for you: how do you know you live in the woods? - the customer car your going to work on has a wheelwell full of bear ****!

Old 09-10-2018, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Freewheel
To reconnect to this question. -yes, tjeres absolutely some good fishing around here in the river in the first pic of the tread there was wild salmon until the fifties when it was several powerplant built here, i think it's four or five just downstreams from my place! And we also have bass, pike, brook trout and louch here.. Btw here is a riddle for you: how do you know you live in the woods? - the customer car your going to work on has a wheelwell full of bear ****!

Sounds a bit like here in Idaho; deer, elk (wapiti), moose (elk, in Europe), rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, salmon and stealhead trout. We also have bears and wolves.

I once was on track to get a job in Pasadena at the Jet Propulsion Lab but I just could not see myself enjoying living there.

Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 AM

I just noticed how much stuff i've got in the back!

Water pump, highbanker, hoses, buckets, canoe stuff, fire extinguisher, and Jerry cans! Btw, beware of dented Jerry's! one cracked for me, and i had almost a gallon of petrol in the rear carpet before i found it..

Old 12-02-2018, 05:10 AM
Default Its been a while...

Due to work, owning two houses, teenage kids and so, not much time has been spent in the Blazer 😢
But today i made a trip along some trails, and even had the go-pro going, so i will soon upload some film on Youtube!
Best to you all! /Nils

Old 12-02-2018, 10:39 AM
BF Veteran

Lovely!

So do they have in Sweden any bumper stickers like they do in New Hampshire (USA) that say "Brake for Moose It Could Save Your Life"? (of course our "moose" is your "elk" and most properly an älg)

Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Default Elk, moose etc.

We've got campaigns from the government via television and so. And at drivingschool at least here up north they teach about wild animals and their movements and so, otherwise its just these roadsigns with an elkpic on
​​​

Last summer i spotted these guys from the car window, about 70 yards, but i couldn't lower the window, thats why there is no quality in the picture.. Probably discussing the lack of females in the area👍

Quick Reply: Off Roading in Sweden