Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

all you need to know about ventshade bug deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point
Default all you need to know about ventshade bug deflectors

ok guys i bought the ventshade bug deflectors for my driver and passanger windows.....i was wondering if anyone had tips or tricks on putting them on and making them look good....should it be put on the painted portion or the rubber weather stripping? And i know that the 3m tape makes a mess of whatever its put on....so if it comes off it leaves all the glue and stuff where it was mounted...any tricks to removing it or making it easier to remove prior to installation? any advice on the subject would be helpful....

Old 09-03-2006, 03:07 PM
athleticdawg26 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: all you need to know about ventshade bug deflectors

Return them and spend a little more and get the inchannel kind.. Much neater looking and dont had to deal with the glue **** on the outside

Old 09-03-2006, 03:55 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

put them on the rubber. Just follow the directions they gave you and you will be golden. I wouldn't paint them they will look good when you put them on there. Oh and I wouldn't go for the in channel kind they fall out and are always loose. My grandpa put a set of the stick on ones on his truck and they have been there for 7-8 years or so and no chance of falling off not even close.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 AM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road

tommyd basically summed up what I was gonna say. But something I've seen around to change the appearance is to take some chrome moldings that you would normally use for the edge of the doors and put that on the lip on the ventshades. You can get different lenghts of the stuff at autozone, advance, etc. It looks pretty good if you do it right, and if you have lots of other chrome on your truck (flowmasta you obviously do), it adds a nice accent. Also when putting them on, push down on the taped spots just to ensure its sticking to the rubber.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And don't forget to clean the areas that the tape will be sticking to with dawn dish soap first, then some rubbing alcohol right before you lay down the tape! This will make sure that the area is clean and will keep the tape sticking on for many years to come!

Old 09-04-2006, 12:22 PM
flowmasta is an unknown quantity at this point

all great advice thanks guys....and im gonna look into that chrome trim trick sounds like it might be a cool look

Old 09-16-2006, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I installed my vent visors on the rubber moulding, but i also slipped the corner under the mirrors. The thing is, you have to be careful about where and how you are going to mount them, because once they stick, they're hard to get off. A while ago, my drivers side mirror was torn off, and it was hanging. so i had no choice but to temporarily tie the mirror with a rope through the window. It bent my ventvisor, because as i said, my ventvisors were installed under the mirrors. So i ended up removing the whole vent visor on that door, and all the glue stayed on the moulding. I had to remove it, and i had to buy 3M double-sided tape again and put it on. But a good tip, would be to remove your mirror, and see how it would look with your mirror over it. I just placed the tip of it underneath the mirror.

Old 09-16-2006, 09:53 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

If you read the directions it says to put them underneath the mirrors. Looks better and then it doesn't leak.