Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Another rusted body question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Beginning Member
Verzwyvelt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another rusted body question

First I want to say this is a great site! NOW, we also need any info on changing out the inner and outer rocker panels! The old girl has SOME RUST spots but nothin we can't [8D] fix.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Look forward to hearing from members!!!!

Old 12-08-2006, 11:03 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Another rusted body question

they sell a stop rust that will stop the spread of rust temporarily and with a little bondo u can clean it up nice. make sure u fill everyhole that water can get trapped and leave a drain hole cause water gets in. but stay away from salty, snow or sea water areas. but the real way u should fix is to cut above the rust and have a new panel welded and made to fit. then to have painted with an anti rust enamel. good luck cause all of these blazers have and probably will always have those specific rust spots.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 AM
Beginning Member
Verzwyvelt is an unknown quantity at this point

[sm=kiss.gif] Hey! I'm the girl that will be helpin to fix up our new toy. Thanks for the input. My drinkin buddy[sm=icon_cheers.gif] had her for about 8 years and even though he owns & operates a body shop, he let her start to go down hill. But lucky for us in July 06 the "old fart" picked up a 1969 red Corvet convertable in beautifullll condition. Anyway he was ready to sell and I couldn't wait to bring her home for my guys (I was pretty excited, too!!!) The only thing that's not original is the 350, which is more than fine with us (runs like a well oiled machine), so with a little TLC[sm=drlove.gif] she's going to be a HOT MAMA. My husband came with a 1981 Shovel Head (I new he was a keeper) and now we have a 1986 K5. It just doesn't get much better[sm=shades.gif]! Look for a picture of her SOON!

Later, Cin

Old 12-09-2006, 10:56 AM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

if the three 350 was dropped in then u should invest in a turbo hydro-matic transmission for real play power!!!!

Old 12-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Verzwyvelt

First I want to say this is a great site! NOW, we also need any info on changing out the inner and outer rocker panels! The old girl has SOME RUST spots but nothin we can't [8D] fix.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Look forward to hearing from members!!!!

posting pics of the rust damage would be a great way to start, just so we can see what youre dealing with.

there are many ways to fix rust damage... and most of them will result in the rust returning before you know it! as rooster said the right way to do it is to cut out the rust and weld in new metal - if you can weld or have someone who can do it for you.

i wouldnt even bother with naval jelly or any of those other "rust stopper" products available at your local auto parts store - even as a temporary fix. they are a waste of money.
there are only two good rust stopping products on the market that ive found. por-15 and MasterSeries. por-15 works good on rusty metal, so thats a good thing to use if youre just trying to stop rust from spreading. MasterSeries works great on rusty OR clean metal, i use it on almost everything and i highly reccommend it over por-15.