Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Any done a headliner on a 95?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 06:47 PM
bad4u is on a distinguished road
Default Any done a headliner on a 95?

So my project is going on a couple months now. Started with a Red 95 LT with gray interior. Stripped the truck down to the frame. Sprayed everything flat black.

Now Im onto the interior.... fun....

I have searched everywhere for an answer, and have even emailed a few interior shops but have yet to hear back.

Started on the headliner today, figured couldnt be too hard. After pulling off the old felt, started scrapping the old foam off. But it seems there is actually two layers of foam (can upload pics if needed) it seems the bottom layer of foam gives structural support(without it the backing is barely thicker than real thick construction paper). Everywhere says to scrape off ALL foam. Anyone know if both layers are supposed to come off?

Thanks in avance for any ideas/suggestions.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:19 AM
Beginning Member
JrJohnston is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bad4u
So my project is going on a couple months now. Started with a Red 95 LT with gray interior. Stripped the truck down to the frame. Sprayed everything flat black.

Now Im onto the interior.... fun....

I have searched everywhere for an answer, and have even emailed a few interior shops but have yet to hear back.

Started on the headliner today, figured couldnt be too hard. After pulling off the old felt, started scrapping the old foam off. But it seems there is actually two layers of foam (can upload pics if needed) it seems the bottom layer of foam gives structural support(without it the backing is barely thicker than real thick construction paper). Everywhere says to scrape off ALL foam. Anyone know if both layers are supposed to come off?

Thanks in avance for any ideas/suggestions.

Both layers of foam did not have to come off! If you did not tear a chunck of foam out when you pulled the old cloth off, there was no need to remove any of the foam. On 95% of the 94 and up car's/truck's/suv's you do not have to remove anything but the cloth, as the foam is part of the headliner board itself.

On those headliners you need to try and get the cloth off without tearing any chuncks of foam out, the apply a coat of glue and let it dry for about 30-45 mins(or more). Then lay out your material you are going to cover it with, then pull the front half back( like you are going to fold it in half, but don't fold it) apply more glue to both the board and the material. Let that tack up for about 10 mins., the bring the front foward and lay it out working from the middle out(DO NOT STRETCH foam backed headliner cloth), the repeat for the rear half of the board.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member
wallace is on a distinguished road

yes i recentley did a headliner in my 93 and i talked to alot of people about it before i dismanteled it .... and in the end YES stripp it all off down to bear metal and make shure its really cleaned well before installing new..(so u dont have to repeat it )

Old 02-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by wallace
yes i recentley did a headliner in my 93 and i talked to alot of people about it before i dismanteled it .... and in the end YES stripp it all off down to bear metal and make shure its really cleaned well before installing new..(so u dont have to repeat it )

On a 93 yes you do need to remove all the old foam, but not on a 95.

Old 02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
bad4u is on a distinguished road

Well, thanks for the reply, alas it was too late. The 2 places that I was able to get a hold of yesterday told me to scrape off one layer of foam...

wish I would of not done that. It became to flimsy, now after the material on and back up in the truck, the board sags and you see wrinkles. really sucks i just wastes about $200. Could of brought it in for that much...

Anyone know a good place to get a replacement headliner board?

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bad4u
Well, thanks for the reply, alas it was too late. The 2 places that I was able to get a hold of yesterday told me to scrape off one layer of foam...

wish I would of not done that. It became to flimsy, now after the material on and back up in the truck, the board sags and you see wrinkles. really sucks i just wastes about $200. Could of brought it in for that much...

Anyone know a good place to get a replacement headliner board?

Just look around the local wrecking yards, but what ever you do do not waste your money on a ABS plastic one that are being made now. You will end up with the board sagging also.