Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Can seat tracks be swapped?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Beginning Member
reapher is on a distinguished road
Default Can seat tracks be swapped?

I bought a pair of leather front seats from the junkyard, they're in great shape and match perfectly but I found out they must be from a different year because the bolt pattern is slightly different and the wire harness plugs are different. The wiring is not a big deal, and I think 3 of 4 bolts in the seats should be secure enough... but I'm wondering if I might be able to use the old tracks to solve that and make them a perfect fit? I just hate always having one little thing in my head that could be or should be done to my truck to make it better and besides a patched up EGR tube this is the last thing that's bothering me. Can the tracks be removed without destroying the seat?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I don't know for sure, BUT a safe way to check is to go to a junkyard (four bolts later) you will have a test subject....

what year is the leather seat and what year is your ride?

Old 01-06-2011, 09:47 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yup they should. I used 2001 Yukon seats in my 85 S10. Take rails off the big seats, peel back the fabric a little to expose the skinnier holes for the S10 rails to bolt onto. Dropped right in and was the perfect center conole delete. There was barely room between them to put a smoke pack and I had huge comfy seats in an S10.

Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM
Beginning Member

OK I figured it out, I didn't realize you have to reach inside the underside of the seat cushion to reach the nuts which I would have never thought were there, it just looks like giant rivets or something when looking at the bottom of the seat. This might be hard on the driver side because of all the adjustment motors, but seems possible. I got the passenger side done and it seems to work great, the styling of the adjustment lever looks better with the tracks that came with my blazer and it allows the trim covers and wire harness plugs to snap right in correctly.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

mine were a bit of a pain, and I was just going from manual '89 seats to manual '00 blazer seats. The bolts on the '89 seat rails use a weird pitch that I couldn't get at a hardware store, so I had to get new bolts/nuts/washers.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Beginning Member

This was really a pain, the rails attach to the floor and the seat differently but I got them to work. My original seat rails have 3 studs each in them that fit into the seat base and are secured with nuts, the leather seats simply have threaded holes in the seat base and holes where the studs are in the rails and bolts secure them. So I had to cut the studs off, drill out the holes and file it out for adjustment. Bolts were hard to find because the new rails are narrower and have a ball bearing mechanism so there's no room for the lip of a bolt, hence the narrow studs they put in. I found some bolts that fit the thread and fit in the rails ok because they have an allen key slot and a really narrow head similar to the studs.

My problem now is that I totally overlooked the seatbelt buckles, they're built into my fabric seats but not the leather ones and I forgot to pull them from the truck with the seats, it's probably related to the bolt location in that one corner of the rails being different. So I'm gonna try to mount the fabric seat buckles on the leather seats some how, I dont think I can legally use the seats if the seatbelts can't buckle

Old 03-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Starting Member
theonetruetom is on a distinguished road

When I did my front seat swap I was able to just leave the old seat belt in place... When I swapped rear seats (to 50/50 folding out of an '01 blazer) I had to delete my old seat belts and use the ones out of the '01.