Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT.

ORIGINAL: dimmuborgir6nik6

Looks great, can you give installation tips, for example taking out and installing the sun visor lights, front and rear dome lights and under dash lights?

At first I was thinking of getting neon lights for under the dash, but now I can just pop in some blue LED's into the factory whites.
The only bulbs that required a little more time and a lot more caution were the ones in the overhead console. As I have said, the housing in a 2000 is slightly different from the 1996. On the 2000, I believe you can just pop the bulb right in because there is only a round, chrome reflector that goes around the 194 bulb. On the other hand, my '96 map lights, plug into a tiny socket that then clicks into the bulb housing lens. I had to get a dremel, and sand down the inside of that plastic bulb housing lens. You have to be extremely careful when doing this, because if you sand down too fast for too long, you could break through and destroy the whole housing because it is a very thin plastic. The method I used, was that I would sand down the inside a little bit, then stop, and see if the LED bulb would go in. I kept doing that, until finally, (forcing the bulb in), I was able to get it inside the lens. Now, you might ask how I would take it out to replace it since it was forced in. Well, since the black tiny base of the 194 bulb clicks into the chrome bulb lens, it has 2 little tabs, 1 on each side. All I do is either grab a minature flat screw driver, and pop it right out or a pen and do the same. The LED's in the visors gave me a little trouble, because the standard bulb fell into the visor. I didn't want to hear a bulb shaking back and forth every time, so I had no choice but to take out the whole mirror out of the visor. You just pop off the little plastic lens with a small flat head screwdriver, and pop out the bulb. If you are careful, and do not drop the bulb like I did, then there will be no problem. The lights under the dash are simple plug and play. One important tip that I will give you is to take that bulb out when you are sitting in the driver's seat with all of the doors closed. You should never replace any of these bulbs with the doors open, because they will get heated, causing you to get burned. It is a little difficult, because you have to feel with your hand, but once you finally take the bulb out, putting the LED in is very simple. The dome light bulb is simple plug and play also. You just pop off the lens, and put the bulb in. However, on the rear dome light, I could not do it from the inside, but my rear trunk light has an On/Off switch. So I turned it off, and allowed it to cool down. Then, since I was using the 9 LED SMT bulb in that rear trunk light, it would not fit through the opening of the light. So what I did, was simply pop out the whole trunk light assembly. You can do this by popping off the small clear lens on it, and then simply sticking your fingers inside the lamp, and carefully pulling it out. I pulled out the whole light, and slipped the LED bulb through the side. Then I just popped the bulb right in, and put the lens back on.
For the light in the glove box, I wanted to make things a lot easier for me, and I just popped out the whole entire glove box. It would be impossible to install that LED through the tiny hole in which the glove box light shines through. So I simply took off every bolt on the glove box. Now let me say, that that small 194 bulb stays on for the whole time that you are taking out the glove box, so when you finally do have the glove box out, you need to hold that small button that shuts off the light bulb for quite a few minutes in order for the light bulb to cool down. Once it has cooled down, then remove the light bulb, and s

Old 12-29-2007, 11:50 PM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

What about this?
http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=362
Will they fit under the dash?

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Starting Member

Those are the same exact ones that I have underneath my dash, only difference is mine are HID white.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:23 AM

Good enough, atleast I know they'll run since we both have the '96.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Starting Member

Yea, plus they're really bright. It's 25 high power LED's. lol

Old 12-30-2007, 12:32 AM

Great information, sounds very easy, especially with a lot of information.
I'm just changing out my map lights, both lights under dash, and both dome lights. The glove box doesn't matter to me since I never open it. Thanks though!

Old 12-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Starting Member

No problem. Post some picks up when you're done.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:38 AM

Definitely will. I'm ordering 4 map lights, 2 dome lights and 2 dash lights now.
Now to get the chrome racing pedals and give them a little shine with the lights.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:45 AM
Starting Member

Sounds good.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:24 PM

Alright, got my bulbs in the mail today.
I just need to find a dremel to sand down the bulb housings inside the map lights. I taped sand paper to a drill bit and tried sanding down the plastic but it took too long. Also, the bulbs under the dash, do you unscrew the entire bulb? Or just pull the bulb out? I was having some trouble trying to unscrew it.

Quick Reply: Changed all interior lights to LEDs.DIRECT REPLACEMENT.