Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Dash interchange?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
nktidwel is on a distinguished road
Default Dash interchange?

I finally found a body. Downside it has no interior. It is an 84 K5. The question i have is if i can fit my 90 dash in there. So if anyone just happens to know, let me know, or if someone has that style k5, if they could take pertinent measurements that would be good too.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

They'll interchange, but you may have to alter/relocate brackets. I have not found any detailed explanations of the swap, but I do plan on putting a '90 'burb dash in my '74 along with the A/C, engine, etc.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM

That would be fine with me, I expect some problems. Brackets should be simple enough.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I plan on having the dash in my '74 all torn down and then sitting there moving brackets, holes, etc from the '90 firewall over to the '74. Lots of cutting/fitting/welding when it comes to the firewall pass-thru holes, but in the end, I'll have the conveniences of the more modern setup!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:13 AM

I wonder what I will have to do. I find that when I buy stuff for it the '90 model parts don't fit the '90 model blazer. I always end up buying parts for an '87. I hope I get lucky.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:11 PM
Administrator

One thing you have to remember is that the pickups changed body styles & suspension design in '88. The K5 Blazer & Suburban remained the boxy body style up to & including 1991. They were updated to be consistent with the pickups for the 1992 model year.

So if you are talking about using a '90 pickup dash in your K5, there likely will be A LOT of work required. If that is the case then you might want to start by making a cardboard template from A-pillar to A-pillar on up to the windshield for both trucks and comparing them. If drastically different, you might want to rethink the swap.

For me, I'm putting a '91 'burb dash in a '74 K5 The Suburban & K5 Blazer were the same overall body style from '73-'91 (ignoring minor tweaks here & there).

Old 11-19-2011, 12:25 PM

They are both k5's

Old 11-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Got it home. Everything so far looks identical. May not need to swap the dash just the vin...

Old 11-26-2011, 09:43 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by nktidwel
Got it home. Everything so far looks identical. May not need to swap the dash just the vin...
???? If you mean the dash vin-plate, that's a legal can of worms! Before you do that, I'd do some asking around if I were you

Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 AM

What would you suggest replace the entire dash then?