Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

To debadge, or not to debadge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

That sucks.. I really don't know what you could do to make it look good with painting the whole door.. Maybe I won't debadge mine afterall..

Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by okvortec
That sucks.. I really don't know what you could do to make it look good with painting the whole door.. Maybe I won't debadge mine afterall..
Mine was a fluke lol...there was a bunch of dirt that got under the two sided tape and damaged the paint. Once I started peeling it off, it just took the paint with it since it wasn't properly bonded to the back of the badge.
I'll take a pic of both badges I took off and show you the difference. I figure the dirt somehow chipped the paint underneath and caused it to bubble, in which case I had no hope when I went to pull it off. I don't think there was anything I could do to avoid it, looking at it after.
As for sealing it, I have touch up paint over it now..I'm just deciding what I want to do. I think I may put those two badges back on (the two blazer door ones) and leave the LS and the back blazer emblem off. Someday I might decide to take them off again and get my door painted.
Very dissapointed lol, I looks soooo much better debadged

Old 06-08-2009, 08:01 AM
PVT Pablo is an unknown quantity at this point

That sucks! I took mine off with no problem.

Old 06-08-2009, 08:31 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by PVT Pablo
That sucks! I took mine off with no problem.
Yeah, I had no problem with any of them up until that last one. The dirt really screwed me over

Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

You know Sisk... you could always look for a vocational school that does auto repair. There might be a paint guy that could use the practice and you could get your door done on the cheap. probably for about as much as any of the other fixes mentioned...

It's like taking a kid to barber college. Screw 'em they're kids no one cares what they look like right. j/k

Old 06-08-2009, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran

hahaha that's not a half bad idea..I might look into bringing it to the community college here..Thanks!

Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Let me know if that pans out man, I might just pratice what I preach when I finally bang out the custom body work a tree did to my D side front door

Old 06-11-2009, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member
rocktheguitarist is an unknown quantity at this point

what's the best way to debadge?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
BF Veteran

I think it's been discussed before on here..but I'll tell you how I did mine..

Use a heat gun and heat up the badges really, really well. If you have fishing line (I didn't which maybe why my paint peeled off with it lol) then use the fishing line after heating it up to "slice" the badges off. I just pulled mine off, but unfortunately since there was dirt in behind my badge it damaged the paint and caused my paint to peel off with the badge.
Just be careful and take your time. Be sure to be generous with the heat gun to soften up the glue really well. After the badge is off you're going to have goo left over from the glue. Use goo-gone to get rid of the residue left. If that doesn't work first try, just continue to use the heat gun and repeat with the goo-gone. It takes quite a bit of work to get the goo off, but it looks damn good after words if you take your time!

Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
rocktheguitarist is an unknown quantity at this point

what kind of heat gun do you need?

Quick Reply: To debadge, or not to debadge?