Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

To debadge, or not to debadge?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

didn't see the pm... I don't know if my truck's been repainted... that's the problem... I have some orange-peel in the paint which makes me suspect that it has... if that's the case my badges may be stayin on... when I et my rockers repainted next summer though i'll probably ask the body shop to give them back to me but not put them on.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oktain
didn't see the pm... I don't know if my truck's been repainted... that's the problem... I have some orange-peel in the paint which makes me suspect that it has... if that's the case my badges may be stayin on... when I et my rockers repainted next summer though i'll probably ask the body shop to give them back to me but not put them on.
Probably your best bet rather then risking it. At least that way you're re-painting it anyway, so if it does ruin the paint underneath you won't have to drive around with a touch up spot like myself

Old 08-11-2009, 04:57 PM
elementtrev is on a distinguished road

when i debadged mine i had some spots but nothin much of a big deal, usualy it makes any car/truck look much better.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Use some vinger and a tooth brush to remove the left over stuff. Works for me =D

Old 08-11-2009, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Use some vinger and a tooth brush to remove the left over stuff. Works for me =D
goo-gone works wonders too, as we talked about earlier in the thread.

And just an update...I had my truck in the other night to be MVI'd. They mentioned to me that they think the door/truck has been painted at some point (kudo's to whoever thought that before). The reason being is they were looking for the stickers that are normally on the driverside door that list the details about body type/color etc. They aren't there, so they were either removed or painted over.
This would actually explain quite a bit...like why my driverside door has a water leak, and why I can't seem to keep the rattle in the latch away without tightening the latch every few months. I'm thinking now it may have been t-boned (minorly anyway) at some point in its life. I had juat assumed it wasn't since I had ran the vin with GM and there was no reported incidents. I guess it doesn't cover everything though.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sisk
goo-gone works wonders too, as we talked about earlier in the thread.
eh, for people who don't have it vinger is cheaper, faster, and easier. :P

Old 08-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Starting Member
Zeeke98 is on a distinguished road

You can't trust any of the "accident check" services. I ran a car fax on a 98 S10 I had and I knew it had been repainted and possibly repaired but it didn't show anything. Most all newer GM's have vin stickers on almost all the body panels that you can look for to see if parts have been replaced or repainted. I know the drivers door on my Blazer has been repainted and possibly the fender. The VIN tag on the drivers fender is missing but it appears to be factory since the inside of the fender is painted properly and I can't find evidence of overspray or a paint line on it. The truck has plenty of scuffs and scrapes and chips anyways so it's eventually going to get a respray by me.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:01 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Zeeke98
You can't trust any of the "accident check" services. I ran a car fax on a 98 S10 I had and I knew it had been repainted and possibly repaired but it didn't show anything. Most all newer GM's have vin stickers on almost all the body panels that you can look for to see if parts have been replaced or repainted. I know the drivers door on my Blazer has been repainted and possibly the fender. The VIN tag on the drivers fender is missing but it appears to be factory since the inside of the fender is painted properly and I can't find evidence of overspray or a paint line on it. The truck has plenty of scuffs and scrapes and chips anyways so it's eventually going to get a respray by me.
Good point raised. I will say if it has been repainted the color wasn't changed. And if it was, it was done properly. I haven't found a spot yet with overspray or evidence of a re-paint.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

DEBADGE... but leave one or two subtle hints for the unsure...