Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Firewall insulation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Beginning Member
kfouad is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Firewall insulation

Hi All,
i'm thinking of taking off my K5 87 dashboard and re-insulate the firwall (thats if its insulated in the 1st place). i always get heat from underneath the dash board. Also i might find several holes that needs patching )).
1- Any schimatics of how to take the whole dashboard off?
2- do you recommend a certain material for insulation?
3- Can i permanently stop the car from taking fresh air (Either AC is ON or OFF)? pics?
4- can i do it myslef? ))
5- anyother surpises i should expect?
6- anyother thing that i can fix/adjust while the dashboard is off (i won't take it off again)

Old 12-15-2010, 09:32 AM
Beginning Member
Deatherage is on a distinguished road

Ive had mine down to the steel frame. you get a lot more access when you remove the dash pad, gauge cluster, and the A.C. ducts. There are parts that are still hard to get to though.

As far as cutting off the fresh air...you can put an old T-Shirt in the air door on the right side kick panel. It will rest fine in the plastic half-bowl looking thing. ( I'm not into half-*** ideas like this, but mine was like this when I bought it and it worked well).

Last edited by Deatherage; 12-15-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:51 AM
Beginning Member
kfouad is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Deatherage
Ive had mine down to the steel frame. you get a lot more access when you remove the dash pad, gauge cluster, and the A.C. ducts. There are parts that are still hard to get to though.

As far as cutting off the fresh air...you can put an old T-Shirt in the air door on the right side kick panel. It will rest fine in the plastic half-bowl looking thing. ( I'm not into half-*** ideas like this, but mine was like this when I bought it and it worked well).
I sealed the air door with silicon and the T-shirt , but i still get air from the A/C ducts (and the A/C is off!) any ideas??