Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Front Door Int Door Panel Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:58 AM
Beginning Member
teamrojas is on a distinguished road
Default Front Door Int Door Panel Problem!!

I pulled off my front interior door panels to replace the speakers. (Thanks Forum for the advice!) Now my problem is that the two 10mm screws that go underneath the interior door grabs are not holding the panels snug up against the door. Looks like the plastic piece on the panels that the 10mm screws tighten against cracked.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this problem?

Thanks for your time.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:36 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

be creative, washers, bigger screw, ect.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Beginning Member
xtr1c0 is on a distinguished road

I had success with an idea I got from a used auto parts guy in Waterloo, Iowa (From whom I was trying to buy the panels). He told me to remove the door panel, then remove the four 9/32" screws that secure the armrest to the door panel. Get some plastic weld repair from your local auto parts shop (I got mine from NAPA) which comes in a two-part double syringe like dispenser. Also get a few good sized fender washers that you're gonna need to be able to grind and shape a little bit. Turn the handle over and notice that the inside of the plastic area is kind of squared off where the holes are. That is where you're gonna have to shape the washer to fit inside and line up the washer holes with the screw holes. Clean up this area well and rough up the plastic a little. You're gonna end up using the plastic weld to attach the washer on the inside and let it set up for 24 hours. It will get pretty hard fairly quickly so have the washer shaped and ready to go before dispensing the "weld" mix. After having waited 24 hours the set-up will be hard as a rock. I was impressed. I used new panel retainers to get a really snug fit when re-attaching the door panel. The torque spec for the screws through the armrest is 17 inch-pounds. Hope this helps you.
By the way, my armrest holes were really beat up but if yours are only a little cracked you might find some smaller washers that will fit inside without having to do any grinding. Just make sure you can line up the washer holes with the original hole locations and "weld" the washers in.
(Credit to Used Auto Parts Guy in Waterloo, Iowa)

Last edited by xtr1c0; 01-21-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:59 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

I had the same problem, went to junkyard and got another panel.. problem solved.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Beginning Member
xtr1c0 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I tried the junkyard route but didn't have any luck finding another panel that wasn't broke in the same spot. Plus they all wanted too much money IMO. I feel better now that it's even stronger than original.