Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Gauge Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:23 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool Gauge Lights?

Hey.

I have a quick question. How do you get the steering wheel cover off on a 96 blazer.

I need to change the dash lights but either have to take off the steering wheel cover(plastic piece that wraps around the steering column) or drop the steering column. And I figure it is easier to just take off that cover.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Starting Member
9Blazer6 is on a distinguished road

I've takin the trim off around the guagues that goes around your radio. I didnt have to take the steering colum cover off. You just have to put the shifter all the way down in frist and do some wiggling. That should show you the whole clear plastic cover to the gauges if im thinking correctly.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

^ do you have the tach?

Old 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Cool

Originally Posted by 9Blazer6
I've takin the trim off around the guagues that goes around your radio. I didnt have to take the steering colum cover off. You just have to put the shifter all the way down in frist and do some wiggling. That should show you the whole clear plastic cover to the gauges if im thinking correctly.
I don't have the tach though and I am pretty sure it is impossible without taking the steering column cover or dropping the column. This is because the area of the gauges without the tach is a lot closer compared to with tach.

Does anyone know how to get that pesky steering column cover off? Or dropping the column? And should I remove battery cables or fuse for airbag?

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Let me look at mine while it's off and see what's broken and I'll try to figure out what you need to do to get it off right.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran

Ok bear with me on this one because there are a number of pics

^First step is to take the tilt steering lever off. It just pulls out.

^Next take the key gaurd thingy (not the rubber thing but the round thing. Not sure what it's actually called) off by using a flat head screwdriver and prying it off. It shouldn't take much.

^Ok notice how on the back of the covers there is a C looking part on the bottom and a mating part for the top.

^This is the bottom part that slides out of the top part.

^Ok there should be two torx screws in the bottom marked here in red. I think they are size 25 or 27. Take them out.

^Ok we're coming back to this pic. You will need to push the bottom cover forward (to the front of the blazer) and at the same time push the top to the back. On mine there was some play, but I think it should work on yours. You just need to get the bottom ridge out of the steering wheel lip.

^On this pic the bottom of the pic is the front of the blazer. There is another torx here, remove it.

^Here you can see the broken screw holder thing which is on the other side of the coulum. I'm not sure what it attached to but it needs to be removed to get the top off.

^Here is the top cover. In red is where the screws were, in green is where your hazard flasher button is, and the white is just a spacer thing. It wasn't broken and there is no threads in it so don't worry about it.
That should be it, just reverse steps to put it back together. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM
Cool :)

Thanks for putting a diy together for me man! I really appreciate it!

I'll probably do this first thing in the morning. I have to get to my gauge cluster because my light in the gauge needs to be replaced.

I'll take some pics to let everybody know how it turns out.

One quick question. Did you take any steps such as removing the battery cables or pulling the airbag fuse or is it not necessary?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:45 AM
BF Veteran

I didn't, might be a good idea though.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 PM
Cool reverse torx

Hey man,

I had to work on something else earlier and I just got around to working on the gauge cluster. I have a slight problem though.

That last torx bolt that you showed me looks like a reverse torx. What do you use to take out that type of torx bolt?

Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Thogert
This reverse torx.

Quick Reply: Gauge Lights?