Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Gauge Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Sorry, that one was broken. All of them on the top were broken. Do you mean reverse as in it losens by turning right?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Cool

Originally Posted by Thogert
Sorry, that one was broken. All of them on the top were broken. Do you mean reverse as in it losens by turning right?
No, a reverse torx bolt. Look at this picture. It has a similar head as this pic.

I just don't know what tool to get it out with. I don't have a reverse torq driver. I guess I could try the smallest socket I have, but that would probably be too big.

Last edited by tibby; 06-19-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Picture too big.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:10 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Oh, well if not I'm sure autozone has one you can borrow.

Old 06-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Cool Ok

Ok, I have managed to get everything off except the key guard thing. I have no idea how to get it off. The bottom steering column cover is off and the top is loose after I found the right tool to get those torx bolts out with.

But I'm stuck trying to get the keyguard thing off. I have tried prying it off but have no such luck with that.

Could you talk me through how to get the keyguard thing off. lol

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM
BF Veteran

Ok I just used a ~1 foot long flathead screwdriver to pop it off.

Sorry I couldn't find my camera.

^If you notice, there is a ridge that holds it on on the inside.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Cool .

Thanks for all the help man. I really appreciate it! I got the keyguard thing off and have taken out the gauge cluster. After that, I pulled out all 5 sockets with bulbs in them.

I am now trying to play with the socket and bulb to see how these sockets release the bulb. I'm having no luck but hopefully I can get the old bulbs out soon from the sockets and change them out with meh LEDs.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran

Yeah it's no problem, I think we may be the only ones active on the forum without the tach so I'm glad to help.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Cool .

Originally Posted by Thogert
Yeah it's no problem, I think we may be the only ones active on the forum without the tach so I'm glad to help.
I think you may be right lol. Are blazers without tach's on this forum rare? I'm guessing so haha.

And while I have the gauge cluster out, I might try to find some gauges like yours. I saw some on ebay for the 98+ gauge cluster without a tach but I haven't found any for us.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:04 PM
BF Veteran
Old 06-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Cool .

Wow lol. $138? I think I'm good right now haha. I didn't see a price for the second one and it wasn't bad.

I figured out something though. GM has spot wielded the gauge cluster bulbs to the socket. They didn't want anybody to be able to take out the bulb so they would be forced to buy another socket and bulb. So there are two options I will do tomorrow.

Option 1: Autozone. People on the s10 forum have said that Autozone carries those twist lock base sockets.

Option 2: Junkyard. People on the s10 forum have also said that a another car make such as Ford has the same twist lock base sockets you can use. The only difference is the Ford one you can actually pull out the bulb from the socket.

So I will probably check Autozone first and if they don't have any in stock, I will goto junk yard.

Quick Reply: Gauge Lights?