Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Grill Swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 03:17 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road
Default Grill Swap

I have a 1994 S10 blazer, it currently has a factory grill on it. I am looking at swapping it out for a grill out of a GMC jimmy. I like the look of them better, however my concern is the GMC in the middle of the grill. Are they molded into the grill? Or can they be unbolted? If they are molded, anyone know any ideas how to remove them or alter them, perhaps with another bowtie?

Thanks

Old 03-15-2010, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'm pretty sure if you remove the GMC you'll still have a flat spot on the grille in the shape of "GMC" where the emblem was.

You might be able to get away with the HUGE bowtie off of the new full size trucks, it may be large enough to cover any evidence of the old GMC being there... but it could end up looking tacky. You'll also need the headlights off the Jimmy, and the bumper skin (bumper skin because there'll be a big space between the grille/lights and the bumper, that's why there's plastic under the signal lights on the Blazer, to take up this extra space.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
drummerdude is on a distinguished road

I figured the issue with the flat spot. I wont have to worry about the headlights or bumper cover. The 94 is the last year of the first Gens, No bumper cover and should have the same lights. so it will just be a straight grill swap. Does anyone have a gmc grill off a first gen that they could measure the gmc so I know how much area I need to cover?

Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by drummerdude
I figured the issue with the flat spot. I wont have to worry about the headlights or bumper cover. The 94 is the last year of the first Gens, No bumper cover and should have the same lights. so it will just be a straight grill swap. Does anyone have a gmc grill off a first gen that they could measure the gmc so I know how much area I need to cover?

i have one, i'll measure it tomorrow. but off the top of my head, i don't think there is any bow-tie out there that'll cover it up. you could just use a dremel and cut out the backing to the "letters" so that all you have left is the horizontal bars. or just go billiet, and drop in an insert. then you could slap on a bow-tie if you wish.

and while you don't need the bumper cover, it helps to follow the lines of GM opening.

see.............

Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ok, so i measured the size of the GMC letters in the '91 to '94 grills, and this is what i've concluded.

the letters measure 11 1/4 inches long by 2 1/2 inches high.

the bow-tie on my '98 measures 6 1/8 wide by 2 1/4 high.

and while i had said about using a dremel to cut out the "backing" to the letters, i had a closer look, and that wouln't work out very well, to many "voids" where the bars are replaced by the letters.

that and you'd need a bow-tie that would need to be 1.8375 times bigger than it is now-and would look waaaaaaaay outta proportion. in case you're not sure what i'm talkin' about regarding it needing to be 1.8375 times bigger...........for it to be 11 1/4 inches long, you'd need to mulitiply the length (6 1/8) by 1.8375 to get 11.254", and the height would be 4.134" now (2 1/4 X 1.8375), and that would just be freaky looking.

your best bet would be to get the GM grill, and install a billiet insert. that way you can put a bow-tie on it, and it wouldn't look wierd.

my brother did something similar on his '83 Dime. he took a chrome '91 to '94 GM grill, put the billiet insert in, and then dropped on the "Chevrolet" script from his '58 Bel Air in the lower right corner. been rollin' like that for 12 years now. there's was even some chick in Mini Truckin a few months ago that did the exact same thing as him (she must've seen his truck somewhere ).

this is his truck,

hope this helps you out.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:40 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Yeah, I definitely didn't read the 94 part... lmao. I'd definitely go with the billet option, and maybe powder coat it black if you don't want the chrome.

Sorry about that.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I think a bowtie on the billet or GMC grille would look odd and out of place since there is always that "bowtie bar" on most chevy's that crosses the front of the vehicle. But if you do it post up pics and progress. I'd be curious to see the results.