Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

HID Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
bradly2795 is on a distinguished road
Default HID Lights

Ok so I was looking at the lights sold at HIDExtra and I really like the idea of having brighter lights. I've read the write-ups people have put on here and it seems simple enough. I would want to get the 5000k set to put in my Blazer. However I have some questions I would like answered to ease my mind lol.

1. Does this kit of HID lights melt/mess up/burn the stock wiring?

2. Will these bulbs melt the stock housings?

3. Do I need to have any other concerns?

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:05 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

I installed some 5k on mine a week ago, I also did the quad hi beam conversion. No problems yet. You can find pics in the hidextra review thread in the general chat, top of page 11.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:19 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

The only lights I've heard of melting are those black ebay housings...

Old 03-02-2010, 05:48 AM
Beginning Member

OK thanks for the answers. I had just heard that to make the bulbs burn brighter that it made the wires run hot which then caused damage. Also by running hotter they melted the housings. So would I just need to get the 9005 and 9006 kits, or would I need another set because of the DRL's?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

You shouldn't have any issues with them. If they do end up running hot or melting anything you've done something wrong like wired it incorrectly. Your DRL's will not work once you put in the HID's unless you buy the two bulbs. It's not necessary though unless your laws around you state you need DRL's. Even then you can drive around with your park lights on all day if you wanted.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:23 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

the HIDs fit into the stock harness as long as you get the right size of corse. They won't melt the stock housings. HID's are recomended for projector housings however thou so don't be surprised that people flash their high beams at you. You will have to find a place to put the ballasts but there is plenty of room to mount them so that shouldn't be a problem either. I love my HIDs, just one word of advice the cheaper the HID's the crappier they are.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Beginning Member

What two bulbs are you talking about that I would need to buy? The lights will still come on automatically with the HID lights though right, or will that be disabled as well? Also I was going to order the kit from HIDExtra cause I've seen what their kits look like installed thanks to this forum.