Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to get good smelling air?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 09:37 AM
BrokenBlazr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get good smelling air?

I have been looking thought the forums and I have not been able to find my answer. I do not have an antifreeze leak but I have the antifreeze smell inside the blazer. Recently I had a dealership do a flush to remove the dexcool and change back to good ol green. After the flush and causing a leak in my water pump, I have I have had the smell of the antifreeze inside. The water pump was replaced two days after the leak started and there has been no leak since (4 months ago). I still smell the antifreeze! Help! Any suggestions on how to remove the smell from the vents? Do I need to clean the engine and the air intake? What kind of cleaning solution should I use?

Thanks all….love this forum!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:55 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to get good smelling air?

got any green stuff on the passenger side floor baord? does it smell stronger on that side?

Check ALL your hose fittings, alot of the time when they do flushes they forget stuff or dont tighten it down all the way.

They also sell a UVdye you can add to it and use a special light to find the leak. IT paid for itself the first time I used it..

Old 02-24-2007, 11:23 AM

That's the problem....there is no leak. A long time ago when someone changed my oil, they got oil on the engine and we had to smell that for a while. Then after the flush/leaking water pump (all fixed now) I still have the left over smell coming through the vents. That's why I was wondering if I need to clean the engine and or how to clean the air intake for the vents. I have heard about using clorox & water but I was hoping someone could tell me exactly how the procedure is done.....there is not leak at this time.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 02-24-2007, 01:00 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get OZIUM or something of that like, spray it into the vents and you are good to go, its a neutrilizer not a freshner.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Partime Gearhead is an unknown quantity at this point

To me it sounds like you have a bad heater core. It doesn't take much of a teeny tiny pin hole leak to give off a smell. Have you noticed any nasty film on the inside of the windsheild, or does it fog up when you first start the defrosters. I have had heatercores give off a little bit of a smell from a small leak that just doesn't leak enough to notice in the radiator level or on the passenger side carpet. If a lot leaked on the motor or frame when the water pump went bad tkae it to a coin operated car wash and hose out the engine compartment with the engine running. Just becareful around the distributor and the airfilter. it works best to do this with a warm motor because if the distributer or plug wires get a little wet the heat will dry it faster.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:59 PM

Thanks all for the reply! Guess I will giver her a rinse and try to clean her up. I have not noticed any of the symptoms that you mentioned (wetness or steaming windows). It started when the leak happened and stuff was blowing around the motor compartment while driving. There is also a hint of oil smell (messy oil change) but that never went away also...completely anyway. That's why I was wondering how to clean the air system. I had heard of water with a small amount of clorox but I am not sure where they said to apply it. I thought it was in the vent area by the windshield & wipers....is that right?

Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Beginning Member
chrisblaze is an unknown quantity at this point

99 S0 blazer ZR2 4wd

Ok, so on the topic of smells!! I have this really old moldy mildew kind of smell coming out of the vents! I have heat & the AC works great! Its not a sweet smell at all so I ruled out coolant.......nothing seem to be spilled on passenger side floor. I bought this truck off and old friend & I think he knows more about probs than he said!! He told me...when you pick it up you might have to look around & find the old dead sandwhich!! What did I find... nothing!! The smell comes from the vents only when the blazer is started....heat on or AC! The smell makes me sick to my stomach so bad that after about 10 mins driving I feel sick! The rides in great shape......I have to replace ball joints, & outer Cv joints (boot is torn). I noticed alot of mud underneath so I knew he was driving it like he stole it!! The air filter was filthy!! I changed that today! I got a sugestion from someone who said, It's worth the time to remove the AC box, clean it with a bleach and water solution and then reassemble after making certain the drain is working. So check my drain hose first....how do I do that??? Where the heck is it.....and wouldn't it be hard to clean out the AC box?? What should I watch out for?? Any clues my hard rockin' blazer friends???

Thanks for your help so far everybody!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

22 months since the last reply above...

Anyway, I wrote up a post a long while ago on this very issue > A/C Evap Core Odor - Here's the fix!

It is always preferable to create a new thread than to drag on up that is over 6 months old.