Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

How to: LED Strip Lights for interior

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 05:17 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Good to hear.

Mine burnt out so I learned how to build my own and it snowballed from there.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:31 PM
smaiwald is on a distinguished road

I noticed that you left the stock light socket there. Is that necessary to make the LEDs work or did you reinstall that bulb?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member
iamthesargent has a little shameless behavior in the past

I like the idea. I wonder if its possible to completely convert every bulb on the interior to LEDs.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Most likely left it so if he sold it he could take it back stock.

I cut mine off and wired everything direct.

Only lights on my blazer that aint leds are headlights, backup lights, and offroad lights. My fire dept lighting is even leds. Been running everything like that in the blazer since 09.

Last edited by neo71665; 02-14-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
It's been 13 months since the install and all is well. Just as bright as the day of installation and no burnt out LEDs. The only thing I've done to them since; was apply double sided foam tape to the the back. (the 3M adhesive on one of them didn't want to stick) But that was a simple fix and has been great since!
I'm an idiot. I couldn't figure out how you got 13 months since January. Hasn't even been 13 weeks .... Finally remembered that this is 2012
These things sometimes happen to us old folks. This may be a sign that I'm too old & crotchety to be installing LED strips. But I figure I can still get away with it as long as I don't try to light up the undercarriage with neon, do anything "spinner" related, or put lighted tips on my exhaust.

Thanks for documenting it so well, by the way. After replacing the dome & map lights with colored LEDs, I think this will be my next cosmetic project.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Starting Member
HcHawks09 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by smaiwald
I noticed that you left the stock light socket there. Is that necessary to make the LEDs work or did you reinstall that bulb?
Like Neo stated, I left the stock ones tied in just in case I wanted to go back to stock. It is not necessary to make them work, just the path I chose to go.

Originally Posted by wyzardd
I'm an idiot. I couldn't figure out how you got 13 months since January. Hasn't even been 13 weeks .... Finally remembered that this is 2012
These things sometimes happen to us old folks. This may be a sign that I'm too old & crotchety to be installing LED strips. But I figure I can still get away with it as long as I don't try to light up the undercarriage with neon, do anything "spinner" related, or put lighted tips on my exhaust.

Thanks for documenting it so well, by the way. After replacing the dome & map lights with colored LEDs, I think this will be my next cosmetic project.
HAHA I think we all have those moments, so no worries.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Starting Member
Lan Harjochee is on a distinguished road
Default qq

Originally Posted by HcHawks09
I just did this in my blazer and i think it turned out great!
and i haven't done too many "How To"s so i decided to make one for those interested.

Tools Needed: 7mm socket, Socket wrench or extender (to use the socket like a screwdriver) pack of red butt splice connectors, and a pair of wire strippers with crimpers.

LED Strips, I bought a 2 pack of 12 inch strips from Pep Boys for $20

Step 1: Locate and use the 7mm socket to unscrew the four hex screws attaching the kick panel to the dash. The four screws are circled in black.

Step 2: Once the kickplate is down locate the footwell light socket and and unscrew the hex screw holding the socket to the dash.

Step 3: Pull the socket and expose the wires. Cut the wires one at a time to make sure you dont blow a fuse. Once cut, strip the insulation back from the wires of the socket and the LED strip. (notice the black wire with the white stripe. this wire gets connected to the orange wire.)

Step 4: twist the black wire with the white stripe to the orange wire of the socket. Then Crimp one end of the butt splice connector to the twisted wires.

Step 5: Crimp the other end of the connector to the single orange wire in the dash.

Step 6: repeat Steps 4 and 5 for the all black wire and the yellow wire. you should now have power to your LED strip.

Step 7: Begin to reassemble the socket and kick panel.

Step 8: Peel back the paper backing of the LED strip. This reveals the 3M adhesive. then simply stick under your dash.

Step 9: Sit back and enjoy your bright interior!

this one is taken with the flash on.

If you have any questions, just ASK! hope this helps
-Will
my question is: do you guys think i should run the power to the switch that will turn the relay on directly from the battery, from the headlight switch so that when i turn the headlights on i then have the option for the roof lights to come on, or to the ignition wire?.