Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

i liked my moonroof...till today

Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
tech0821 is on a distinguished road
Default i liked my moonroof...till today

Well we got some rain today, my new (to me) blazer when I backed out of the driveway my daughter says, "daddy its raining in here!" I look back to see the armrest on the passenger side completely soaked. Having to get my daughter to her appt I decided to look at it when I got home but in the process the water us now dumping down the drivers side near the rear speaker..wtf?? Next my daughter starts saying she's getting wet from the water dripping from the dome light. Aggravated at this point I drop my daughter off and head home to figure out my latest nightmare. The headliner was soaked, and needed to be pulled to find out where the hell the water was coming in at. After tearing it apart and removing the headliner I checked the drain lines..nothing. so I proceeded to dump water onto the moon roof. I understand its designed to take on a small amount of water, hence the drains but mine were working and functional. The seal was leaking but it was escaping the trough via the rivet points where the track meets the plastic shield in the front. It was also escaping around the rubber splash guard near the rear of the trough. With no idea other than to replace the whole thing I used some flex seal (as seen on TV) to seal up the rivets and seam points. Hopefully it works, my headliner is still drying. I also conditioned the seal on the glass. I'll try to fill it full of water again tomorrow.. wish me luck..

Old 03-11-2013, 08:48 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I have used that flex seal stuff,Im not very impressed.Hopefully it works for you.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

water came out of the same exact places on my truck when my door seal was bad. The stock adhesive sucks so they come off easy

Old 03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Beginning Member

@ 1sttime..the leaking wasn't excessive, just was happening for a while..hopefully that crap does work. I also think the seal where the drain tubes are a bit worn so that may have also contributed. I'll find out this morning...figures it's gotta be in the 30's outside though and my heated garage is full of motorcycles.
@97..I checked those, it was definitely a thought but it was completely dry around them. Have a pic but haven't figured out how to upload it from my phone yet.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
Beginning Member

Update..flex seal didn't work. Trying silicone caulk this time..( on a funny note, whenever you go to by caulk, take your girlfriend with you so you can hit her with your caulk...works on the face, chin, stomach..funny anyway you say it. Anyways back to the point, went to the u pull it and snagged a whole new sunroof assy for $35. Too bad it was broke and didn't open so I snagged the seal off it and will find the parts to fix it later. The seal seems to be working at this point. Took the time to caulk it up real good. And have a further measure to attempt with a thin piece of rubber I'm going to attach to the body to try and tighten the seal further..anyway I think I got it beat.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
Beginning Member

Well after adjusting the height of the sunroof moon roof...whatever skylight thingamajig.. the seal is working. Plan on making another slight adjustment tomorrow to further tighten the seal. Didn't end up needing the extra rubber, actually caused more problems than repair
The silicone on the track/trough works like a charm. No more leaks and if it does make it past the window seal the track/trough is now working properly. Finally got my headliner back in and interior put back together. I'll sleep better tonight now that this nightmare is over.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:58 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road
Smile

Originally Posted by tech0821
Update..flex seal didn't work. .
See now you know what I mean about not being to impressed with tht stuff.