Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

LED mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road
Default LED mod

I'm going to be swapping all the interior lights with LEDs...

I'm not sure if anyone's done it before, but I was successful doing it in my old MX6. Ever since I had my 2001 Jetta I fell in love with the blue/red LED look, and now my Jimmy will have it too!!

I will be taking pictures along the way, and will probably be starting it this weekend. I just picked up spare door switches, 4x4 switch, and HVAC panels today. I have a few different approaches I could take, I'll have to test the different methods out to see which one gives the best "stock" looking effect.

If this turns out really good, who knows, I may start producing more of em and selling them.

Stay tuned for more...

Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

194 inverted V-LED's in the guage cluster... #37 inverted V-LED's in the HVAC, pre-wired 12volt LED's with resistor, ready to connect.

Looks like:

I've since made the 4x4 buttons brighter by repositioning the LED's in the module

If you figure out a way to solve the hot spot issues... lemme know... I think my camera metering was off for the shot of the light controls... it's alot brighter in person.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Banned for childishly attempting to delete all his posts
jsmz is an unknown quantity at this point

That is probably the most bad *** thing I have seen.

Is there DIY or list of materials needed anywhere for what you have going on oktain? If you tell me how Ill do it this month I swear!

Old 05-04-2010, 06:53 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

If you want a wider light spread (i suck at describing things btw) sand down the tip of the LED to make them flatter, the rounded end focuses the light in that direction rather than widen it

Old 05-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

oktain: that my friend is flippin sweet!.. about how many led's both the 194's and #37's did you use.

I have the 194's to do the gauges but i was concerned with the mini's... I have all the courtesy/map lights LED's, and wanted to go further, but just havent gotten to it yet, really.

I figure I have LED's everywhere else might as well go full interior too.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by oktain
If you figure out a way to solve the hot spot issues... lemme know... I think my camera metering was off for the shot of the light controls... it's alot brighter in person.
The setup looks really cool, but I'm going a little more in depth than a simple remove/replace. I'm going to be using surface mount leds on a custom circuit board. I have the etching chemicals, and blank boards are dirt cheap. There will be no hotspots because I will be using a separate led for each item. For instance the HVAC, I will be able to have different colours for different settings around the dials.

It's going to be a fair bit of work and modification, but in the end I will be damn happy about it, and I think it will be one of a kind.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by MTopper
If you want a wider light spread (i suck at describing things btw) sand down the tip of the LED to make them flatter, the rounded end focuses the light in that direction rather than widen it
You got the method right, but the explanation wrong

By sanding the tips you diffuse the light. You could leave them round if you like, just by etching the "lense" that the light comes through you break up the beam pattern. The more the etching the more the diffusion.

This is how I'm getting the leds to seem "softer". Direct led lighting will be way too bright, so I have to put something together to dull it down a bit, while still having headroom for the dimming operation. Dropping the voltage does work, but as I said the headroom for dimming isn't there, and I'm going for a stock appearance/functionality...

Old 05-04-2010, 08:13 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have done this on my blazer, (pics comming soon) every interior light is led (EVERY LIGHT) and i probally got 30+ hours in the thing, i used super bright wide angle leds and 3 watt resistors, everything i did i soldered in by hand. even the stock radio is led and the dome light is very bright. ill have to post pics soon.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Follow this thread:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...=Blue+dash+led

And if you don't know how to take your dash apart:
Follow this How To I made for 98+ 2nd gens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L28MkE81MOo

Took 6 194's, and 4#37's
There's more lights I'm going to replace in the dash and reposition some LED's to get a better spread. And yeah, there's a story behind those fuzzy dice on the dash lmao.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Beginning Member
Dfretty is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone! I was wondering what voltage bulbs this mod requires? Can anyone link me to the right bulbs needed for everything including windows and locks buttons! I have a 1999 (trailblazer) model. Does anyone make these and sell them so its just a direct fit?
Thanks alot......

Quick Reply: LED mod