Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

looking to maybe paint the bowtie and grill

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Beginning Member
carlbirt is on a distinguished road
Default looking to maybe paint the bowtie and grill

Ive got to fix up some rust holes and paint the rockers while Im doing this i was thinking of painting the grille and bowtie. Was woundering how hard it will be to paint the chrome and the bowtie and if there was anything i had to do to prep it first. Im going with the rustolm spray on under coat. Any advice will be a big help and i will get pics up when its all done.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:45 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Just scuff up the chrome and go for it, here's a pic of mine.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:12 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by carlbirt
Ive got to fix up some rust holes and paint the rockers while Im doing this i was thinking of painting the grille and bowtie. Was woundering how hard it will be to paint the chrome and the bowtie and if there was anything i had to do to prep it first. Im going with the rustolm spray on under coat. Any advice will be a big help and i will get pics up when its all done.
What color? I bedlinered mine black, the grille and bowtie and I think it looks good. It definitely makes it look more aggressive. I just lightly sanded, primed, and bedlinered that sucker lol. Pics are below:

Old 07-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DySfUnCtIoNaL
Just scuff up the chrome and go for it, here's a pic of mine.

What is the outline, is there a holder for the bowtie you painted different?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:45 AM
DySfUnCtIoNaL is on a distinguished road

Nope, that's the factory gold bowtie. I just taped it off around the bowtie to leave that chrome and spray bombed it.

Old 07-22-2011, 05:58 AM
Beginning Member
carlbirt is on a distinguished road

hay thinks for the advice and the pics. after seeing some of those i think i will have to go ahead and do it. I was able to do the rockers and up till the little indent that runs the hole lenght of the blazer. for my first time doing any body work it came out great i will have to get some pics of it up.

Old 09-01-2011, 01:26 PM
supersport_s10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tibby
What color? I bedlinered mine black, the grille and bowtie and I think it looks good. It definitely makes it look more aggressive. I just lightly sanded, primed, and bedlinered that sucker lol. Pics are below:

What grit sandpaper did you use and was it wet sandpaper? I just did my bowtie and wanted to do the grille too but wasn't sure about the chrome. Is there a better primer for the material the grille is made out of? I dont do much body work, I'm more knowledgeable under the hood then anything related to body work, but I refuse to pay some of the prices to have the work done myself lol

Thanks!

Last edited by supersport_s10; 09-01-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by supersport_s10
What grit sandpaper did you use and was it wet sandpaper? I just did my bowtie and wanted to do the grille too but wasn't sure about the chrome. Is there a better primer for the material the grille is made out of? I dont do much body work, I'm more knowledgeable under the hood then anything related to body work, but I refuse to pay some of the prices to have the work done myself lol

Thanks!
I used regular sandpaper, a pretty fine grit since the grille is fragile. And got it scuffed up so the paint would stick. I used the plastic primer stuff you buy at any hardware store. Sorry I don't have the name right now. Do a couple coats on grille then bedliner, a couple coats. And then after, lookin' good lol . If you do it, post up some pics man.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:24 AM
THCCW121 is on a distinguished road

Very good info guys i was looking to do the same thing but i wasent quite sure how to attack it but now i do thanks!!!