General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 12:25 AM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???

Hey guys,

I was just driving, and I went over a bumpy bridge and my car just stalled out. I actually got stuck on the bridge and people are so inconsiderate. They were honking and getting pissed off cuz i was stuck on the bridge and they so "incoveniently" had to pass me. But besides that, the car wouldnt start back up. I cant hear my fuel pump actuating at all, and im sure that that's the problem. But i dont know if i have to replace that yet, is it possible that i loosened the relay or the fuse? If so where is the fuel pump relay located??? SOrry guys its a 92 S10 Blazer 4.3 Vortec

I took a plug off the distributor and i still had a spark. I also tried spraying starter fluid in the intake, it didnt start but it almost did. I was talking to my uncle and he said it might not be the fuel pump, and that i may have jumped a tooth on the timing chain. I dont know, its really frustrating me. PLus i gotta get to work tomorrow morning and im pulling my hair out with this truck.
I went over a bumpy bridge and it felt as if when i hit a pothole, the car just stalled out. It wont start anymore, its cranking but not starting. Any advice??/

Old 10-29-2006, 01:02 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???

So you have spark from the coil to the distributor. Do you have spark from the distibutor to the plugs?
If you suspect the timing (and it almost starts), mark the position of the distributor, loosen the 15mm bolt at the base, and rotate the distributor all the way in one direction, try and start it, rotate the distributor the other way and try and start it.

Or you could remove the distributor cap, remove #1 spark plug and turn the engine over by hand til the timing mark lines up at "0".
If you have someone turn the engine, by hand, and you have your finger over the spark plug hole, you should feel the engine compression as the timing mark approaches "0". When you get to this point, the distributor rotor should line up with (or be very close to) #1 terminal on the distributor cap.
Hope this helps a little

Old 10-29-2006, 02:51 AM

I havent checked for spark from coil to distributor. But there is spark from distributor to plugs. When you said checking the timing, how would i turn the engine by hand?
Also your first way of checking the timing sounds a bit easier, but can u clarify? When u say loosen the 15mm bold at base, am i taking the whole distributor off, or just the cap? Could it be a bad rotor also, cuz when i did a tune up on the car last month i didnt change the rotor.
If it is the timing, what damage in repairs do i have to do? What will I have to do and how much will it cost?

If it may be the fuel pump, are there any relays i should check besides the ecm B fuse? I dont hear the pump priming, but is that because i may already have fuel pressure? My brother fancied the idea that if it is the pump, that maybe i shoudl remove the carpet in the trunk and cut a square hole right above the fuel pump housing so i dont have to drop the tank. I was actually thinking it might not be a bad idea.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:35 AM
s_stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not sure if that truck has it or not, but a LOT of fuel injected cars have a collision detector that will turn off the fuel pump if it detects a collision. I get a lot of cars that just quit and they have triggered that switch. They'll hit a pothole or run over a curb and it cuts off.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: USMaverick101

I took a plug off the distributor and i still had a spark. I also tried spraying starter fluid in the intake, it didnt start but it almost did.
I got the impression that you pulled the coil wire out of the distributor to check spark.
You need to check for spark to the spark plugs.
Buy a spark tester from your local parts store. That way you know if you have spark and if it's a strong enough spark.

Turning the engine by hand, you would have to use a ratchett and socket on the crankshaft pully bolt.

No, you would not take the whole distributor out, just loosen it so you can turn it.

If it is timing, it would be a timing chain and gears......lets not go there yet.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:01 AM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be willing to say fuel pump cause your not hearing the fuel pump kick on. But wouldn't hurt to check the and see if maybe the collision switch is kicked. My fuel pump went when I had the blazer in the garage to replace my cv shafts. And got the shafts done and it wouldn't start. Roll over and what not, but then I noticed I didn't hear the fuel pump turning on like I normally do. And I ended up having to replace the fuel pump on it.

Old 10-29-2006, 10:09 AM

thanks i'll check it out, but wheres the collision switch/sensor?

Old 10-29-2006, 10:59 AM

I think it might be the fuel pump, i tried starting it this morning, i didnt hear the fuel pump prime. Used starting fluid, it started up for about 2 or 3 seconds then died,..while it was runnning for those 3 seconds it was making a knocking noise. not sure what that is

Old 10-29-2006, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran

Sounds like a fuel problem. The knocking is probably from the starting fluid

Old 10-29-2006, 05:04 PM

Yeh i think its the fuel pump. Anywhere i can get one for cheap? Maybe i dont need to replace the pump, could it be a relay? How could i tell if the pump is working?
Also, i want to change the rotor, how do I take it off? I removed the cap, the rotor looks a little worn, but im not sure how to remove it.

Quick Reply: Maybe Fuel Pump maybe Timing???