Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

This may sound stupid but.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 PM
Kenton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This may sound stupid but.........

No laughing at me now! But whats the difference between the composite an sealed beam headlights? I just assumed the composite were the headlights on the 96 and down blazers but from what I have been reading that must be wrong? I have no idea but I just keep seeing this everywhere on here and am interested in the difference. Any idea what mine would have....96 4 door 4X4

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: This may sound stupid but.........

Sealed beam headlights are the older style. They are all glass that encases the filament. If the filament blows, you replace the whole thing.

The composite headlights have a plastic lens/surround and has a replaceable bulb. I believe the composite headlights are in the 96+ with sealed beams before that. But I think that '96 was a transition year where some of the early production run vehicles were sealed beam and sometime mid year they switched to the composite. If your headlights are square and recessed slightly from the grill surface, I'd bet they are sealed beams.

*EDIT* - looking at photos and such, it looks like there was a sealed beam grill and a composite grill used seemingly random in the '95-'96 trucks. I bet it depended on the trim level, but I can't tell if it was tied to the trim level of the trucks in the photos I'm looking at

Old 11-08-2006, 11:51 PM
Kenton is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! Is there anyway the composite would fit in my blazer? I am thinking by your explanation that I have the sealed beams. I am assuming that it would take a lot to switch it out but just curious. wouldn't mind getting the brighter bulbs if I could without a lot of hassle

Old 11-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This would probably be better answered by someone with the composite headlights on your year vehicle, but I would think at the very least, you'd need the different grill (yeah the whole thing) as well as wiring changes. If you were to go all the way to the '98+ headlights, you'd all of the above plus probably a newer core support.