Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Mold in my seats!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 AM
Maldo15d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mold in my seats!

hey, since my window was broken it rained a lot down here, and when i replaced my window, i have been noticing a mold on my leather seats, i need to know how to stop the mold, not just because my girlfriend will never set foot in my car again, but it smells like ****... help me out please.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Mold in my seats!

First, it helps to know where "down here" is. Sounds like it's a really humid place in the South.

Although most molds aren't lethal, some species are. If you have the cash, it may be worth having a professional cleaning done -- but if you decide to clean it yourself, be sure to 1) avoid breathing in the spores by covering your face with a surgical mask or gas mask, and 2) make sure that whatever you use does a good job of killing all the spores. Spores are the "seeds" that are invisible to the naked eye. I'd also suggest leaving the windows all the way down, all day long, during a really hot day, after you've finished cleaning it. This should be able to kill any additional spores lurking in there.

Then you should check to see how much damage was actually done to the seats. After all, what was happening was that the mold was eating the leather, 'cause it's food to the mold.

Another benefit to having it done professionally is that your girlfriend will be more likely to ride with you again. LOL

Old 07-27-2007, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Try de-natured alcohol (wood alcohol). 100% isopropyl alcohol. It will get rid of (with regular treatment) mold and mildew and will kill the smell.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:24 PM
Maldo15d is an unknown quantity at this point

as much as i want to have it done perfessionaly, i dont have the money, (due to off roading my blzr in a public park, cause my friend is an idiot!,,and getting arrested and 2:00am but ) i like working on it my self. where can i find wood alcohal.... and how can i remove the leather? i feel more confident if i do it my self... and can i just use "gray goose" ....

Old 07-28-2007, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

You can get it from Lowe's etc. Fuel Dryer is also 100% isopropyl...

Old 07-31-2007, 01:01 AM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to be careful with some alchohols as far as colorfasteness (spelling?). But, what I would do is get a damp cloth with quite a bit of Lexol Leather Cleaner and rub pretty hard...mayeb even a very small amount of dishwashing soap (definitely a very small amount) to mix with the water and Lexol Leather Cleaner. That's all I would really know to do, and following you should condition the leather, preferably with Lexol Conditioner cause it's awesome.

And on a little off topic side note, mink oil actually is amazing too and makes your leather ridiculously soft, your girlfriend will think the leather is sexy

Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey i know that this is a month old, but i saw a good trick on tv today on how to remove odors from upholstory. You just take food grade baking soda and rub it into the fabric; Its the same concept as placing baking soda in your fridge or freezer, it absorbs the odor .After you rub it, you just vacum it up. They didnt even let it sit or anything. After they rubbed it in they just vacumed it up. After that, just spray fabreeze or some other kind of air freshener on the fabric and it should be good. At least you didnt do what my friend did, he spilled a whole gallon of milk in his back seat and then dumped pine sol on it. LOL[:'(]