Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need help touching up (pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:19 AM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Need help touching up (pic heavy)

Here are a lotta pics I took. Tires are getting discusting, and the paint is bad (you'll see). Any tips/stuff I need to fix this up and make them look n ew (wheels anyway)

and a few years ago I painted this. Need to re-paint it because it's ugly. how do I paint it "professionaly" and looking good?

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Baja Blazer 85 is on a distinguished road

I would just get new wheels, seeing as you prolly will in the future anyways. Considering the time and money you would have to spend on those wheels, you're better off getting some nice aftermarket wheels

To professionally paint, you need more than just the paint.
-I would get myself some sandpaper; start out with a 110 grit to remove the old paint, and work your way down to a really fine wet-and-dry sandpaper to prep the surface. Make sure its really really smooth before you start to lay down paint.
-Clean that up with rubbing alcahol, there will be sanding dust.
-1 - 2 coats of primer. The primer will help you to see any flaws in the surface. Sand these flaws down between primer coats (when primer is totally dry). Make sure the surface is really, really smooth.
-3 - 4 coats of the paint color (do NOT sand between paint coats)
-1 - 2 coats of laquer
-Polish it up really good after it all dries and cures.

Last edited by Baja Blazer 85; 08-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Ok, thanks!!

Only prob is I don't have money for aftermarket wheels (Saving up for canon DLSR, haha). If I did, I would :P I just wanna clean up these wheels so I can paint them. Painting over that junk is a bad idea.

Thanks about the paint tips I'll try that. I think a nice red will do, eh?

What about all the scratches?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CraigSnedeker
Ok, thanks!!

Only prob is I don't have money for aftermarket wheels (Saving up for canon DLSR, haha). If I did, I would :P I just wanna clean up these wheels so I can paint them. Painting over that junk is a bad idea.

Thanks about the paint tips I'll try that. I think a nice red will do, eh?

What about all the scratches?

Those wheels are beyond the repair being worth it. They are corroded and have holes it looks like in some spots. It definitely wouldn't be worth it to repair since you can get some good looking steelie style wheels (I think you posted a link of something like that before) for about $50 or less a rim.

As for the paint...start by cleaning the truck really well. Take the time to properly clay bar and wax the truck, then give it a good buffing. This won't get rid of those scratches (since they're pretty big)...but it will show you all the scratches on the truck. You may be surprised too at what you can buff out. If there is a lot of big ones you'd want to get an entire paint job, and if most are minor knicks and dings you can just use touchup paint on them. It won't be perfect, but it will cover them up some. It's kind of hard to tell how bad those are since the truck is do dirty...thats why I suggest to properly clean and wax first.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran

Lol, I just washed it today with car soap and a hose. Nothing changed except I got a lot of dirt off of it.

I was thinking of getting a black paint pen for some of the scratches on the running board. That stuff is more worn off then anything else.

Guess I'll start saving up for wheels. After my camera that is. Haha.

What is buffing and how do you do it?