Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Need opinion on rust and scratches please

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:19 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need opinion on rust and scratches please

The following pics are of the current rust and scratch situation on my Blazer.

I am wondering if the rust is just bad enough that I should take it to a body shop or attempt to fix and repair on my own? I was told that there is nothing I can do about the rust near my gas door and that it was too late to fix (told not by a competent body shop person mind you) but it did get me thinking that it is gonna cost me a lot to replace that panel instead of a fix? I do also have rust starting around the third brake light near the top of my hatch. (no pic of that tho) I can't really tell the extent from the other side, only just what's on the outside of the car. Should I just take it to be looked over at a body shop in the first place? The only two spots are below the gas door and the top near the light @ the moment.

The scratches are from my snow brush from earlier this year, and I was going to use that Simonize scratch repair crap but don't know really how well it works. I am wondering if I should use that or perhaps some other product? I'm not particularly knowledgeable on that products for scratches.

So, any opinions and or questions from stuff I may have forgot to add is helpful

Attached Thumbnails Need opinion on rust and scratches please-dscn2446.jpg   Need opinion on rust and scratches please-dscn2441.jpg   Need opinion on rust and scratches please-dscn2444.jpg   Need opinion on rust and scratches please-dscn2447.jpg   Need opinion on rust and scratches please-dscn2442.jpg  

Old 07-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member
skllcndyfrk1217 is on a distinguished road

Sand the rust done to bare metal or just drill it out. use some bondo hair and fill it. sand that down. Use bondo and then paint using perfect match paint from duplicolor. not brush on paint

Old 08-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
Nate2013 is on a distinguished road

You should sand to bare metal, then use spot glaze and filler and paint. If the rust is too deep then use the bondo hair. I just bondoed my bubbling area on the passenger side rocker and some on the drivers side too. The rockers did have a small weak area but no holes. I could give you some tips if you need it to get it done, trust me there is many options.