Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Rust, scratches, and emblem

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Starting Member
Jerome21 is on a distinguished road
Default Rust, scratches, and emblem

Hi everyone, I'm looking to find information on how to handle these three issues I'm having with my 98 jimmy.

On the drivers side, my vehicle is suffering from some rust build up alongside the door. But not only that rust is also building up just to the right, above the wheel where i took this picture.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-16153555.jpg

On the hood of my car, i have some scratches on the paint due to hail as well as some minor dents to the body. Their about the size of a dime. I was going to report this to my insurance company, but i don't want an increase in my rates. I only found 4 of these dents and minor scratches. None of them are quite the size as this one:

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-16153704.jpg

Finally, my emblem has a scratch in it. I'm not sure if this was a result of the hail or if it's always been this way but i do not like the way it looks and would like to either replace it or fix this one.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...5-16153803.jpg

When i look back at some of these pictures, the are zoomed in quite a bit to give you an idea of what I'm dealing with. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, i was going to detail my vehicle soon but am unsure if doing it with those scratches would further damage the paint. Thanks

Old 05-16-2011, 09:04 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

for the rust, i would sand down that affected area down to metal, then clean it. Then apply primer followed with paint and then clear coat. Then using VERY FINE sand paper sand down the excess clear coat to the surrounding area's level and polish it out. IDK if anyone else has a better strategy for dealing with rust, i did mine like that but it looks scuffed up due to the sandpaper and me lacking a buffer tool. I believe you can use this method on the scratches, but you could also simply apply touch up paint on them as well, provided you clean the area first so it adheres well. As for the emblem, i have no idea, you could remove it and replace it with a new one. Id ask one of the guys who painted their bow tie, they should be knowledgeable about it.