Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack

Old 04-23-2017, 12:55 AM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road
Default Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack

98 Blazer 4 dr 4x4.

Picked up a stock/factory roof rack at my local salvage yard off another 98 for $10. Took me less than 10 minutes to pull it and I thought to myself that I can make this work...I was wrong, my Blazer never had a rack so there are no anchor points in the roof which I knew that there wouldnt be but thought that it cant be that hard to come up with something/someway to mount it. I dont want to just use sheet metal screws and I couldnt find any other fastener that I felt confident in using... looked at rubber drop ins that swell when tightened but worried they would be "cut" overtime by the metal hole edges. Thougth about a form of "butterfly" type fastener but never found anything useable. So now I'll get to it...Is there a way you know of to make this work? What I thought would be simple to adapt/use has me stumped. Help Please!

Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have honestly never seen a Blazer WITHOUT a factory roof luggage rack :/ I've always thought it was standard equipment...

Have any photos?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:55 PM
Starting Member

Thats funny...its up on jackstands as I am in the process of installing my rebuilt 4.3; along with replacing rear shackles; a body lift kit and undercoating the frame. And various other things here and there. I have many pix of what I have been doing but none of the truck prior to putting it in the air. I will gladly take a pic and post it if you like. Like i said tho; rite now no front clip; no hood; no wheels/tires inside my garage.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:00 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I have NEVER seen a blazer without a roof rack unless the owner removed it.

Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 PM
Starting Member

I got up on the rear bumper to double check and make sure that there were no factory mounting points and there are not any....the blazer I took it off of also had black runners on the ridges and mine also has none of that. I had to seal off the roof of the garage with some thick vinyl to cut down on drafts this winter and was all over the roof of the blazer with a staple gun...there never was anything attached to this roof. I have the hood and a few other parts up there...i'll move em and snap a pic...post it up in about 30 mins or so.

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 04-27-2017 at 06:16 PM. Reason: grammer corredtions
Old 04-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Starting Member
Default uploads -- no roof rack

took me a bit longer than 30....she is dirty...been in garage up on jackstands for 4 months....close now....not much more to do b4 she is running.
(front bumper on roof *** end)

One of the pix is upside down... no clue how that happened....it wasnt that way when i previewed post???

Attached Thumbnails Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack-0427172042.jpg   Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack-0427172038.jpg   Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack-0427172035.jpg   Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack-0427172041.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 04-27-2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Starting Member

I hope you guys arent messing with me...

Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 AM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Well I'll be damned

No I'm not messing with you lmao I seriously have NEVER seen one without factory roof rails. I've worked in the auto salvage business for 6+ years now and have seen a LOT of Blazers/Jimmy's/Bravada's, and even he base models have always had them.

Old 04-29-2017, 04:07 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
Well I'll be damned

No I'm not messing with you lmao I seriously have NEVER seen one without factory roof rails. I've worked in the auto salvage business for 6+ years now and have seen a LOT of Blazers/Jimmy's/Bravada's, and even he base models have always had them.
I wish mine had had them, it woulda made my life alot easier. Still not sure of what to do.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:36 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road

I have a 02 blazer with no roof rack. Never had one. I want one, so is is sad to see how tough they are to install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack