Paint, Body, & Interior Need advice on paint? Have a new interior mod idea? Having some trouble with a body kit? Discuss it here.

Not as smart as I thought I was - Roof Rack

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 07:37 PM
chevyriders is on a distinguished road

Oh man, that bearing was chunked bad. It'll be nice to have a fresh rebuild in it. Bet you'll get better gas mileage and have some more power behind it.

I hate hearing about shops cutting corners like that-especially if they're pocketing the extra money. Glad you got it sorted out.

Mr. Vls the rivnuts get installed from the outside. If you installed them the other way they would protrude up out of the roof.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:26 AM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road

I was on the highway about 25 miles from home when it let go...it kinda rumbled/shuddered and then i watched the oil pressure drop to zero and she went silent. Tried to restart coasting in neutral...she never fired up again. Called the local tow company to come get us and take us home....$235 bucks to put her on a flatbed and drive 23 miles...$10 bucks a mile. Driver never once discussed rates the whole way home and silly me never asked. When he handed me the bill with the truck still on his flatbed I asked him if he was trying to be funny...$235 bucks. Long story short he got an earfull of some of my finer profanity and bad attitude while I put the cash in his hand. I asked him what he would have done if I didnt have the cash and the ***** smiled and said that was why the truck was still on the flatbed; that he would have taken her away to his lot. Then I smiled and said it never would have happened....I put the last bill into his hand and then knuckle thumped that 22 yr old arrogant punk on his forehead and told him to get my truck off the flatbed post haste. I am 6' 2"; my baby brother who is 6' 6" and my buddy who is 6' 3" or so had showed up and were standing behind me when he started to say something when baby bro stepped in front of me and shook his head no and turned the kid around and told him to be smart and silently get her off of the flatbed. I am grinning, almost laughing as he looks at the three of us; turns and does as he was told. Any ways we drained the oil first...looked like chocolate milk with glitter in it. That piece in the picture was one of about 5 that were in the bottom of the oilpan and was the only one that got saved....threw the others away

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 06-08-2017 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:31 AM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mr.vls
I am curious about the tool and the rivnut installation. Did you install the rivnuts from the underside or from the topside of the roof. If I read the instructions on the tool correctly you thread on the flange side of the rivnut first and than insert into the hole. Is it even possible to install the rivnuts from either side and still allow you to screw the fastener to the rivnut. I have never used the rivnut tool before.
Its a simple process. Determine which size nutsert your are going to install and then drill a hole just marginally larger than your nutsert. Attach it to your tool and from the top(only) slide your nutsert into the hole you just made making sure its flat and flush against the surface and then work your tool. Its basically a rivet; it compresses beneath the surface fixing the nutsert in the hole you drilled. remove your tool and fasten whatever your item is with a screw or nut into the nutsert.